Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!!

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #1  

barry1me

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I have been wanting a 2520 for the last few years and finally found a clean 09 with 180 hours on it that Im hoping to go pick up this Saturday. Only thing Im a not familiar with checking out used tractors and what things to look for. The guy said its like mint, and the pics show that it is very clean. What things should I check out on it?

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #2  
Look it over & under. Check for oil leaks. Look at the grease fittings for evidence of fresh lubrication / maintenance. Check the oil and hydraulic fluid. It should be clean and not have a burnt odor to it. Try to start it cold and observe how it runs and how long it takes to smooth out. When warm check for excessive smoke or exhaust odor. Remove the air filter element (easy) and check condition, again a sign that the machine has been maintained. Check the tire sidewalls for deep scuffs, tears or punctures, especially the back sidewalls. Ask about maintenance and / or records. Check the date on the battery. If it's original, ~09 it will need one soon. All I can think of for now. Good luck!!

Frank

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #3  
There used to be a concern regarding old / new style lift arms on the 3pth. Old ones may rub tires - new ones don't. Maybe a 2520 owner or JD store can clarify what to look for and if that was still a concern for 09 models.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #4  
Good luck hope it works out for you.:thumbsup:

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #5  
Isn't it a great feeling, the anticipation of the new to you machine, thinking of all the fun/work you will get into with it.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!!
Thanks guys for the input. I'm curious about the 3ph arms now. I will check those out when I get there. I am excited I just hope it is what he says it is

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #7  
Unless it has been abused and you can see that, it should be fine. There is very little to go wrong w/ any brand of tractor that is that new.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #8  
What things should I check out on it?

Check out why "the guy" is selling it. I'd be a little suspicious as to why someone would sell a tractor with only 180 hours on it. If you are buying it from Craigslist be VERY careful for a scam. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!!
Check out why "the guy" is selling it. I'd be a little suspicious as to why someone would sell a tractor with only 180 hours on it. If you are buying it from Craigslist be VERY careful for a scam. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

He is selling home/property and moving to the city so need for a tractor. If its poop I wont buy. I will see.