JD 2720 Hyd. Service

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service #1  

BuilderML

Gold Member
Tractor
CCY SX3100
Hello JD Forum,
I am a CCY owner who comes in peace to the JD forum, Have any of the jd2720 owners done there own Hyd fluid service? I have a question about once the hyd. spin on filter is removed. According to my parts diagram it looks like you have 4 magnets once the spin on filter is removed. I would say the same type of magnets that are located at the suction screen. Can anyone give me some info as what is to be found once then spin on filter is removed? Maybe some type of cover plate that needs to be removed to gain access to the magnets? My first service will be coming up and just wanted to get an idea whats behind the filter before hand. Thanks for the help!!
And again i come in PEACE!!:laughing:

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service #2  
As far as I know,they aren't "hidden". They are just inside the center hole of the filter. Unfortunately for me,I didn't know anything about those,and they were discarded with the filter.:( All I have right now, are the magnets in the suction screen. When I change out my fluid again,I'll get the filter magnets and put them in. If the filter magnets are required, I'm kind of surprised that they aren't supplied with a new filter.

Greg

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service
Hi glc24,
Who did your first service? If they are in fact inside the filter itself i don't think they would give you new ones with a new filter it would be up to who ever is changing the filter to take them out clean them up and put them back in. It will be interesting to see when i do the service, i would figure it would restrick the flow if placed inside the center hole. Thanks for the reply :drink:

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service #4  
Who did your first service?

I do my own maintenance,and as I posted,if you know nothing about the filter magnets why even look.

The hydro filter looks just like any other filter. There is no "special" place for the magnets. At least I don't think there is.

Greg

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service
Greg what are you using for the hyd fluid? Not sure if your tractor is basicly the same as mine but do you only use the site glass for the hyd fluid level? As per the owners manual that is the only way they list to check the hyd fluid level. Thanks to the guys of TBN he pointed out that my unit has a dipstick also. No mention at all in the owners manual of it. Just wondering if your unit has one? Hard to locate unless you know where to look.

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service #6  
Yes,the dipstick is on the 2520's too. I found mine by accident. I use JD low vis Hy-Gard,and yes I just use the sight glass. I checked the level with the stick a few times,but it is just too hard to get to.

Greg

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service #8  
Look under the left rear fender on the other side of the wheel towards the top-front of the tire side. It sits back in there a little way and if not careful you won't even notice. At least that is where it is on the 2520.

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service
Follow the gear range shift lever down to were it meets the housing with a flash light from the top, you should see it just forward of that
like megaboz said look real close and with a flash light.

/ JD 2720 Hyd. Service #10  
Thx to both of you. You would think that would be mentioned in the manual...