Tlb 110 loosing power

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #1  

Otaneror

Tractor
John Deere TLB 110
New to forum. I have a 2003 John Deere TLB 110 equipped with a front loader and Snow blower on the back. It has worked well up to now but recently it lost top speed and power. The dealer tells me that the hydraulic pump has a leak that will cost about $ 7000.00 to repair, but they are not sure. Since they had it in shop 3 times already I'm not sure I trust their judgment.
Has anyone had similar problem? Any suggestions?

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #2  
:welcome: Bienvenue!

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #3  
Being a former JD dealer service manager I can tell you if your dealer has had the TLB in their shop 3 times and "they think" it has a bad pump I'd be looking for a different repair shop. What psi was the pump creating?? Granted I was employed at an AG dealership I have limited knowledge on industrial equip but it appears from parts catalog the 110 TLB has an open-center hyd system

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #4  
Loosing power can be lots of things. A weak and collapsing intake hose, plugged air filter, plugged fuel filter, really poor fuel quality, or wastegate sticking open [ if it is a turbo ] comes quickly to mind.... If there is something wrong with the pump, or hyd system... that could possibly load the motor, too. Good luck, Jerry..... :)

Also, a plug'd muffler or squished exaust pipe would do it, too....

Last edited:
   / Tlb 110 loosing power #5  
If it were me with those prices and three trips to the shop I would check it out myself. Start with air and fuel system checking for plugged filters and restrictions as others have mentioned. Then test the hydraulic pressures, should be close to 3000 psi IIRC. How well does the loader and backhoe work. One thing you may wan't to check is the power beyond hose to make sure it is correctly mated for full flow. If not this could load up the hydraulic system. I think there are three hydraulic pumps on a 110tlb and considering the sizes should not be anywhere near $7000 to replace one.

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #6  
3 and your out, JJ should hopefully find this thread but the first ? he will have is " Have you put a gauge to check pressures?"

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #7  
Being a former JD dealer service manager I can tell you if your dealer has had the TLB in their shop 3 times and "they think" it has a bad pump I'd be looking for a different repair shop. What psi was the pump creating?? Granted I was employed at an AG dealership I have limited knowledge on industrial equip but it appears from parts catalog the 110 TLB has an open-center hyd system

Jim you are correct about this being an open system, one of the short comings as it reduces the ability to run two cylinders at a time when digging. This really slows down the hoe functions compared to full size equipment. Most things I really like about the 110 though mine has worked out very well for me.

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #8  
Hopefully the OP will clarify what he means... When he said he was "losing top speed and power" then went on to say that a 7000 dollar pump might be bad.... I thought he meant Hydrostat pump.

/ Tlb 110 loosing power #9  
Hopefully the OP will clarify what he means... When he said he was "losing top speed and power" then went on to say that a 7000 dollar pump might be bad.... I thought he meant Hydrostat pump.

That's exactly how I interpreted his statements. Main drive pump (internal). All ancillary system hydraulics (loader, steering, 3pt. and SCV's) should be operating normally- if that's the situation. But... he would have/should have also noticed that the tractor has "lost power" in the other ranges as well - not just high range.

Maybe this leads back to sump filter, charge filter or main hyd line leak/crimp etc. Or it's a bad relief valve on the Hydro pump itself.

Have to get the gauges out....

AKfish