Question on cabs for X738

/ Question on cabs for X738 #1  

jbgood

Tractor
2013 JD X738
How bad does your cab fog up inside without a heater ? I'm Thinking of a soft side / hard top without installing a heater. Mainly want to stay out of the wind when blowing snow. Do I have to worry about the windshield fogging up ? I'd like take it off in the summer, How much work is it to install or remove each season ?

/ Question on cabs for X738 #2  
Your windows will fog up pretty good anytime you have snow or rain hitting the glass. Unless of course you have an a/c. I remember having an old car that had no a/c to draw out moisture and the dam windows got so bad I couldn't see out. Like I said, only happens when it was raining or snowing out

/ Question on cabs for X738 #3  
How bad does your cab fog up inside without a heater ? I'm Thinking of a soft side / hard top without installing a heater. Mainly want to stay out of the wind when blowing snow. Do I have to worry about the windshield fogging up ? I'd like take it off in the summer, How much work is it to install or remove each season ?

I used to have a 420 and had a steel and glass cab and then sold that and got a soft side with steel top cap. I never noticed any fogging up on either of them. Maybe they didn't fit as tight as the one you are thinking of? I don't know.

I switched tractors to a 455 I believe and just stopped putting the cab on because as much as I was in the snow it won't worth the effort for me. I had a 800' driveway but just went out for a couple hours at the most and cruised down the drive to get it done. If you were going to play much longer than that I would maybe put it on, but I thought it was a pain to change so I got rid of them.

15 years later I don't regret it, but they didn't really fog up and they kept me comfortable without any heater. Just enough to keep the wind off was fine for me.

/ Question on cabs for X738 #4  
I have a cab on a 425. What a great way to blow snow when it is very cold and windy. Never has fogged up. Good on a sunny day. Some times mitts are not required. Go for it!

/ Question on cabs for X738 #5  
I have the curtis built soft side on my X585(same as X728) and i do get some inside fogging
or moisture, it isn't terrible, but i did pick up the cheapo harbor freight heater and
if I was to get it mounted in the right place i think it would take care of it, the problem
is the steering wheel is very close to the bottom windshield support of the cab.
That is also the reason the cab fogs up more than my cab on the 445, it is much
closer to my face, and my seat is allll the way back!

/ Question on cabs for X738 #6  
if you have head room. you can do this air coil from a dodge duringo celing looks like this DSC04230.JPG

/ Question on cabs for X738 #7  
I have the curtis built soft side on my X585(same as X728) and i do get some inside fogging
or moisture, it isn't terrible, but i did pick up the cheapo harbor freight heater and
if I was to get it mounted in the right place i think it would take care of it, the problem
is the steering wheel is very close to the bottom windshield support of the cab.
That is also the reason the cab fogs up more than my cab on the 445, it is much
closer to my face, and my seat is allll the way back!

I got the Harbor Freight heater too, went to several places for a way to mount it, and ended up at Bass Pro Shop, and RAM makes all kinds of adjustable mounts for mounting electronics on boats....found one the I could clamp on to the corner upright pole of the cab....attaching the only photo I have of where I mounted it.....it's from the outside...in the photo the heater is in the left corner pointing at the windshield.....I actually have it pointing straight up just off the windshield and it works good.....sometimes take my mittens off to get a little extra heat on my hands too. Also cut a piece of weed barrier, used for under mulch to wrap around my grills for the radiator, under the steering wheel, and it cuts down on the amount of air sucked in to the cab. Mine's a soft cab, also used pipe insulation, was gray, spray painted it black, and slide it on to the edges of the doors on the handle end to eliminate gaps....works great...going to add on a cord/bungee to keep the door from opening too far if the wind catches it. Good Luck and stay warm

/ Question on cabs for X738 #8  
I got the Harbor Freight heater too, went to several places for a way to mount it, and ended up at Bass Pro Shop, and RAM makes all kinds of adjustable mounts for mounting electronics on boats....found one the I could clamp on to the corner upright pole of the cab....attaching the only photo I have of where I mounted it.....it's from the outside...in the photo the heater is in the left corner pointing at the windshield.....I actually have it pointing straight up just off the windshield and it works good.....sometimes take my mittens off to get a little extra heat on my hands too. Also cut a piece of weed barrier, used for under mulch to wrap around my grills for the radiator, under the steering wheel, and it cuts down on the amount of air sucked in to the cab. Mine's a soft cab, also used pipe insulation, was gray, spray painted it black, and slide it on to the edges of the doors on the handle end to eliminate gaps....works great...going to add on a cord/bungee to keep the door from opening too far if the wind catches it. Good Luck and stay warm

I found a pic that was better of the mount and direction :)

/ Question on cabs for X738 #9  
i've tried that same heater placement, but it doesn't seem to cut it on my curtis cab,
(and temps sub zero lately)
i have found if i crack the front window open it doesn't ice over as bad, but,
then more cold and snow come in the cab!

/ Question on cabs for X738 #10  
I had the BM24082 Original Cab CO from Deere Dealer soft cab on my X748 and tried a lighter type plug in heater from the local auto parts store. It did not work well at all. I bought the BM21480 coolant type Deere heater from my local dealer. What a difference. This year I replaced the soft cab with the John Deere 9354M hard cab. Then the fan motor died on one of our coldest days. I replaced the fan motor with a Gentle Typhoon 120mm 4250 RPM from Coolerguys.com. What a difference in the air flow and heat from the heater. No more fogged windows, and now I have a lot of heat. I just installed the wiper this weekend. Now I need to install a washer system for the wiper because of how dirty the windshield gets.