Who says plastic isn't tough?

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #2  

I think the plastic hoods on the bigger tractors is made of better and thicker material. We have a John Deere GT235 garden tractor that we already had to replace the front bumper cause the plastic was falling apart and it never has hit anything. The hood now is starting to fall apart. I agree the plastic looks good for a long time and may be able to take some punishment but it does seem to get brittle especially on mowers after a while. We will have to replace it eventually to keep the little tractor looking new.

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #3  
I have a old L120 mower that stays under a roof when not being used and so far the plastic hood still holding up good.My father in law has a similar mower that lives outside & she don't look too good.

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #4  
I think the plastic hoods on the bigger tractors is made of better and thicker material. We have a John Deere GT235 garden tractor that we already had to replace the front bumper cause the plastic was falling apart and it never has hit anything. The hood now is starting to fall apart. I agree the plastic looks good for a long time and may be able to take some punishment but it does seem to get brittle especially on mowers after a while. We will have to replace it eventually to keep the little tractor looking new.

i agree. I had a 265 for many years, a 325 and now a ??? I cant remeber what i just bought off craigslist. But any how, the bumpers all broke after several years. The hood on the latest one has a few fractures. However on my new 2012 3720 it seems a ltte different. I let you guys know if it still holding up aftter 10 years or so. Gonna have to wait a while hahaha. Who knows, maybe ill die before then

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #5  
I was bucking a log I had in my grapple and cut a 6" diameter branch at the wrong time/position. I cringed as I watched it fall onto the hood of my 3720. It bounced of the hood without leaving any evidence at all. I don't think a steel hood would have fared that well, I would have at very least a nice dent to show for it.

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #6  
The old JD hoods I grew up with were metal, but were ribbed by design and were pretty tough. A few years of farming, however, invariably put some small dents in them. Friends of mine today with JD and who farm full-time seem to have plastic hoods unblemished after years of use. So far I haven't actually tested mine - and hope not to.

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #7  
Snowplow Wednesday am:

IMG_0385.jpgIMG_0386.jpg

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #9  
So who is the unfortunate mailbox owner?:) and how much is it going to cost you?

/ Who says plastic isn't tough? #10  
Keep in mind that plastic can get brittle with age, and is highly susceptable to UV.

So, the bowling balls may bounce off of a brand new hood.
However, all bets are off with a 10 or 20 year old hood.