Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
I came across a honey of a deal on a 59 snowblower with front hitch and PTO driveline for my 955, so I picked it up this weekend. There is a warning sticker on cautioning about using proper ballast with the snowblower. I found the operator's manual for 59 on the 55 series tractor online and read through it... looks like the snowblower is 450lbs. Under the "Preparing Vehicle" section of the manual it states to add two 60lb. wheel weights to each side, but that is the only mention anywhere in the manual about ballasting for the blower. I've got the wheel weights covered (rears are filled with RimGuard which is probably more than the 240lbs. called for in the manual) but was wondering if others are using additional ballast on the 3pt with the 59. I know the best thing to do would be to try it, but I was just wondering about other's experiences with the 59 on the 855/955.

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #2  
I don't have a 59, but I have a 47 on a 4110. I use a back blade on the 3 point. I use it to windrow if we have three inches or less and the blow out the windrow. Otherwise, it makes good ballast.

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower
I don't have a 59, but I have a 47 on a 4110. I use a back blade on the 3 point. I use it to windrow if we have three inches or less and the blow out the windrow. Otherwise, it makes good ballast.

I would say that you're using the 47 has front ballast to keep the tractor from tipping over backwards. :laughing:

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #4  
I'd say you are probably good on ballast with the Rimguard. Best thing to do would be to go out and try the blower and see how it feels. Too much weight on the 3-point will make your front tires too light and hamper your steering and traction.

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #5  
My first winter I had no ballast on the 3 point and needed the 4 wheel drive all winter. Spoke to the service manager at my dealer the next summer about using Rimguard. He strongly recommended that I use my ballast box for counter weight. The reason was to remove some of the extra weight off the front axle, which I did the next winter. Now, I barely use the 4 wheel drive when blowing snow. Have to be careful not to put to much weight because if you do, then you are losing traction to your front wheels which makes it hard to turn on snow when the blower is down.

Henri.

Bring on the snow-pocalypse! I'm ready for it now. Although I doubt we get any more appreciable snowfall this winter. Last week, we got close to two feet of snow total out of two different storms only a couple of days apart. It's been pretty warm since then and lot of it has melted. About the only thing left for me to play in was large windrow along the side of the road in front of my place. With more warm weather for tomorrow and rain tonight in the forecast, much of that may be gone by tomorrow. So, I went out tonight to attach the snowblower to the tractor.

Incredibly simple to install, four bolts to attach the quick hitch to the tractor frame, slip the driveshaft onto the shaft in quick hitch and the other end onto the mid PTO shaft, drive the tractor into the blower and it locks into place. Hook up the hydraulic hoses and extend the lift cylinder into the latch on the blower and lock into place with a pin. Slide the front PTO shaft onto the shaft in the quick bracket and it's done... ready to go. Took about 20 minutes to bolt on the quick hitch and hook everything up from scratch.

Now the windrow of "snow" I had to test out the blower was less than ideal... it was more like a mound of heavy melting ice crystal not much unlike a slushy. The blower walked right through it. Now with it being so wet and heavy, it didn't blow it 40 feet or anything, but probably close to 10' off into the ditch. I can't wait to get this thing into some real snow. This blower came off of a tractor that had only 230 hrs on it and looks like it had only been used a couple of times... hardly a scratch on it and the paint is still fresh and shiney. What a joy it was to finally get a sweet deal on a piece of equipment that I didn't need to work on, rebuild, or repaint. Just attach it and go.

I still haven't gotten over the size of this thing. Parked next to my 322 with its 49" thrower, it dwarfs the 49 and makes it look like a toy. The other amazing thing to me is that for such a large piece of equipment, it's whisper quiet. I can't even hear it when the PTO is engaged. My 49 on the 322 rattles so much, it drowns out the engine on the tractor. With the shaft/gear driven 59, all you can hear is the tractor.

All that said, I do think that a couple hundred pounds on the 3pt would be helpful. I know, I know... you want to see a picture. I left my phone in the house so I didn't get one tonight, but I will get one soon.

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #7  
how much was this deal if you dont mind me asking? i found a complete 47 setup for my 755 and im not sure if its overpriced or not.

/ Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #8  
HIya,

I use a portland filled ballast box with 4-40 lb suitcase weights on top for 3320 cab with the 59" blower. Works great, only have to use 4wd every now and then, mainly if I hit some ice.

Tom

Just what is a good deal? I believe the answer to that question is different for everyone. It depends on the condition of the equipment, the availability of the equipment in your area (number of units and frequency that they come up for sale), and the popularity of the equipment when it does come up for sale. I've seen pristine 59's for sale for $5000 (I would consider this unit pristine... extremely low hours), used but not beaten units for $2500 to $3500, and well used to beaten units from $1500 on down depending on condition... and sometimes, that is for the blower itself not including the quick hitch and driveshaft. The price for the quick hitch and driveshaft for my 955 from JD is ~$1300... used is considerably less but a rare find. Those are the going rates in my area... and stuff for 955's doesn't come up all that often.

Let's just say that I paid in the "well used to beaten" range for a pristine blower with the quick hitch and driveshaft... complete setup. For me, that was a honey of a deal. Here are a few pics of the 59 mounted on my "430" :laughing:

59SB1.jpg 59SB2.jpg 59SB3.jpg 59SB4.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ballast for a 59 front mount snowblower #10  
wow monster 430.:D

Well the deal i found has now gone, it was 1400 for a complete setup lift cyl, driveshaft quick hitch etc. And since i have owned my 755 i have never seen parts for sale other than the MMM.