200CX Parking Stand Repair

/ 200CX Parking Stand Repair #1  

70stang

Tractor
John Deere 2720
200CX Parking Stand Repair

Last Fall when removing my 200CX the Parking Stand bent. After filing a complaint with JD and getting no satisfaction (JD rep. said the stand is not a big problem only 400 stands sold in 5 years) I decided to fix the stand myself and reinforce it. JD could warranty that a new stand would not ever bend.

Here is what I did.
Upon first inspection you can see the slot where the tube back plate goes into the mount brackets. This area was not welded at all.
Since I could see the mounting brackets were bent also I decided to cut them off at the welds and straighten those pieces first. The welds were easily cut since the factory welds did not go completely thru the steel. This is a bad welding practice in my book.
I took a pic of the bracket after I cut it off. You can easily rust forming where the tube met the bracket and no paint got into the small open crack.

Next I heated up the tubes and straighten them.
Then I welded a piece of シ thick by 1-1/2 bar stock to the underside forming a gusset plate.
It will take a lot to bend that.
Then I installed the brackets on 200CX frame and positioned the stand where it was originally using pics of the tractor when it was new. (Good reason to take good pics.)
With the tractor covered I spot welded the tube to the brackets, then removed the stand and finished the welds.
I have attached a pic of the finished stand in primer.
When primer dried I installed the completed unit and tested it to make sure the gusset bar did not hit or interfere with anything. I found plenty of room I could have even installed a bigger bar.
Final pic is the stand now repainted in JD green and ready to be installed.

FYI: The stand can be installed and removed with the 200CX on the tractor. A little tricky but it can be done.

Paul
In CT.

Attachments

• 1_bent stand 1.jpg
    1_bent stand 1.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 625
  • 2_Not welded thru.JPG
    2_Not welded thru.JPG
    762.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 3. Rust not welded.JPG
    3. Rust not welded.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 4_Straight Tubes.JPG
    4_Straight Tubes.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 379
  • 5_Remount1.jpg
    5_Remount1.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 6_Remount2.JPG
    6_Remount2.JPG
    801.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 7_Org. Postion.jpg
    7_Org. Postion.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 8_Fixed Stand with Primer.JPG
    8_Fixed Stand with Primer.JPG
    913 KB · Views: 483
  • 9_The Test.jpg
    9_The Test.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 437
  • 10_JD Green.jpg
    10_JD Green.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 481
   / 200CX Parking Stand Repair #2  
It is funny they keep up that story about the stands....the two that I have owned in the last three years, and the dealer told me they are all a little bent after a few on and offs...

/ 200CX Parking Stand Repair #3  
Nice job Paul!

/ 200CX Parking Stand Repair
Thank you for the compliments. I really did not want to pay $300+ for a new stand whichmight bend in the future.
I donot think the 1/4" thick bar will bend and it really does not look to bad since its under the tube.
I just look at an add for a JD 2305 for sale and he stand is bent worse then mine was. I would bet plenty of owners are limping along with bent parking stands since you really do not use them much.

/ 200CX Parking Stand Repair #5  
Thank you for the compliments. I really did not want to pay $300+ for a new stand whichmight bend in the future.
I donot think the 1/4" thick bar will bend and it really does not look to bad since its under the tube.
I just look at an add for a JD 2305 for sale and he stand is bent worse then mine was. I would bet plenty of owners are limping along with bent parking stands since you really do not use them much.

Hi there, I know this post thread is quite old but it popped up when I was searching for info on how to repair the parking stand for my 120R loader on my JD 1023 tractor.....I recently had the same problem with it bending!

I'm wondering if you can provide a few more details on how to remove the stand from the loader? Any insights would be appreciated!
Scott

/ 200CX Parking Stand Repair #6  
scwling
You might get a quicker response if you send a PM to the original poster.. (click on the forum name to send it).

Hasn't been active since '15 so a PM will get an email to him