460 loader hydraulic hose gave way

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #1  

lbzduramax

Tractor
JD 4710, JD 970
On my 4710 deere, I have 460 FEL. While doing some work in the woods yesterday I broke a hydraulic hose on my FEL which tilts the bucket about two inches from where it connects to the steel lines just below the bucket control. (in the #1 position according to the sticker on the tractor). My question is what is the side of that hose, and should I get a replacement from the Deere dealer or would I have any luck with a "Pirtek" hose? The Pirtek dealer is much closer, but I need to know the size before I can price it out.
Thanks

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #2  
3/8 hose, ff 3/8 at pipes, orb 1/2 at coupler. BUT could have something different on it now, I would just remove and take with you to a shop that can build hyd hoses, they are not odd fittings by any means.

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #3  
3/8 hose, ff 3/8 at pipes, orb 1/2 at coupler. BUT could have something different on it now, I would just remove and take with you to a shop that can build hyd hoses, they are not odd fittings by any means.

^^^^^^^
Yup, what he said-just take the old to the local shop and get on made.

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way
Much appreciated.
One more question I forgot to ask, is this hyd. system self-priming? Just wanna be sure not to screw up anything once I get the new hose back on?

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #5  
Yes, its self bleeding. After you install the new hose, just cycle the functions from lock-to-lock and hold for a second or two, the air will go to the sump or get pushed past the seals.

Last edited:
   / 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #6  
Yes, its self bleeding. After you install the new hose, just cycle the functions from lock-to-lock and hold for a second or to, the air will go to the sump or get pushed past the seals.

What he said !!

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #7  
My 4600/460 FEL had a hose burst today while moving snow. The hoses run from the Hydraulic fittings up through a black mesh and connect with hard "nut fittings" up on the top (on the FEL itself). I figure I can replace the line by getting a new one from deere and putting it in the same mesh and reconnecting.

If I do this, the nut fitting will release fluid I disconnect, right? so I should just go get the hoses first and then disconnect it, and reconnect? Or can I disconnect the hose now and take it to the dealer to get another?

Also - should I replace all 4 at the same time vs. just the one (given the age of the unit)?

Glad to see someone else had a similar problem to what I had happen. Thanks!

-Bob

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #8  
You can almost definitely get as good or even better a hose at your local NAPA dealer if you take yours in for him to match up.

Make sure to wiggle the joystick back and forth and side to side several times to relieve pressure just like when you remove the loader, when removing the hoses from the hard fittings..

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #9  
Thanks. Should I remove the hoses from the fittings on the FEL (the nuts) first - before I remove them from the quick couplings? What is the right way to do it?

Thanks!

/ 460 loader hydraulic hose gave way #10  
When the tractor is off, and the loader lowered there is no pressure in the lines. It matters not which end you remove first. Take the hose to any local hydraulics shop to get one made, or your dealer might have the ability to make them. I believe its a 3/8" hose with ORB fittings on one end (QD side), and ORFS on the other (hardline side).