need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment

/ need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment #31  
   / need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment
so as im trying to get custom shops to build me a shaft the question came up. Why does JD use a rectangular shaft? and how does it balance?

also what is the size of the shaft and tube?

Last edited:
   / need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment #33  
so as im trying to get custom shops to build me a shaft the question came up. Why does JD use a rectangular shaft? and how does it balance?

also what is the size of the shaft and tube?
JD doesn't use a rectangular shaft... theirs is a tri-lobed circle type shape. Kind of a cross between a triangle and a circle... the same question would apply. I don't know how they balance it or if they even do. Like a lot of ag equipment, they may not even bother to balance the shaft. I've seen the bulk tri-lobed shaft and tube, but it would seem that it would be more difficult to center on the yoke unless you could find yokes that specifically fit that shape. This is what the JD shaft looks like:

tri-lobe.JPG

Now the front PTO shaft on my 59 is rectangular... it's 3/4" x 7/8" shaft that fits inside 1" x 1-1/8" tube.

Another common rectangular size is 1" x 1-1/8" shaft that fits inside 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" tube. For the mid shaft, I'd be more inclined to use the larger size due to the shaft's length. To do this I'd use two "tube" weld yokes for 1" x 1-1/8". Weld the shaft into one of them and weld a short length of shaft into the other. Then slide the 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" tube over the short shaft and weld it. This technique is based on the fact that I did not see 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" series 6 weld yokes in the catalogs.

You could also use round tube on one end of the shaft with a splined slip sleeve welded to the end and a splined shaft on the other end. This would more than likely be more expensive due to the splined shaft needed and IMO would be way overkill for driving the 59 blower.

Last edited:
   / need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment #35  
So your Mid pto to quick hitch is square or tri-lobed circle.

This is what im thinking and keep in mind i dont quite understand the series and how to tell what size yokes fit together with the u joints.

Yoke and Shaft Assembly, 1 x 1-1/8 in., 14 Series - Tractor Supply Online Store

Yoke and Tube Assembly, 1 in. x 1-1/8 in. ID. Rectangle Slip Sleeve to Round Tube Weld Assembly, 14 Series - Tractor Supply Online Store

then buy a u joint that fits

Westward Parts Online - PTO1050615
Not to mention that 14 series is hugely over-massive for this application, the tractor yoke for 1"-15 spline is series 6. You'd have to find a series 6 to series 14 hybrid u-joint that I'm not sure if they even make. You might find a 6 to 12 u-joint, or a 12 to 14 u-joint, but I doubt they make a 6 to 14 since they are so radically different in size. In my opinion you need to stay with series 6 throughout the assembly.

/ need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment #37  

Getting closer. The problem I now see is that the parts from Tractor Supply look like they use a u-joint with external snap rings while the tractor yokes you linked to from Westward use a u-joint with an internal snap ring. I noticed that Westward also has Yoke & Shaft assemblies, Yoke & Tube assemblies, tractor yokes and u-joints that all use the internal snap ring. Since Tractor Supply does not list a 1"-15 spline tractor yoke, I would order all the parts from Westward.

dam thanks Mechanos, I emailed them for pricing.

So your Mid pto shaft is 6 series aswell? or is the shaft of a 955 different than the 755.

/ need parts gurus fast help JD blower fitment #39  
dam thanks Mechanos, I emailed them for pricing.

So your Mid pto shaft is 6 series aswell? or is the shaft of a 955 different than the 755.

Well, pretty much the same size as the 6 series... only the yokes and u-joints have a weird odd-ball size slightly different than the 6 series. No doubt, to make it difficult to find "off the shelf" parts and make you go to Deere (unless you're resourceful) to get replacements. You're better off with the 6 series as "off the shelf" parts are readily available at far more reasonable prices.

The only difference I can see in the 755 and 955 Mid PTO shafts would be the length. The 755 shaft is probably a few inches shorter than the 955 as the frame & wheelbase of the 755 is shorter than the 955. So, the dimensions I posted earlier may be a bit long for your applicatioin. No biggie... just cut a few inches off each half to make the overall assembly a little shorter.

Then again, it may fit fine as my shaft is extended a bit from full collapsed length when installed.

So i got all my pricing in just have to pick up the bracket from my shipping company and my total is:

$500.00 Blower, lift arms, hydraulic auger shoot
$500.00 front quick hitch with hydraulic cylinder and lines
$264.00 Driveshaft

Total $1264.00 plus $60.00 shipping.

I should get some pics of it on the 755 mid April