JD 47" snowblower gearbox question

/ JD 47" snowblower gearbox question #1  

mikefamig

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X728
I am new here at tractorbynet and a new John Deere owner so bear with me. I've been searching out info here for a week or so and hope that you guys can help me with a problem.

I just bought a slightly used -180 hour - X728 tractor with a bunch of accessories and I',m in the process of rebuilding a model 47 snowblower. I have it stripped down to the bare metal enclosure and plan to replace the 5 bearings and chain but I have a question concerning the gearbox.

The thing is that there is quite a bit of backlash in the auger. When I look at it closely I can see that the gear hub that holds the auger shaft is pretty tightly connected to the input shaft with little backlash leading me to believe that the ring and pinion gears are not very badly worn. but there is considerable play between that hub and the auger shaft.

My question: What holds the hub to the auger shaft? The shaft slips easily left and right in the gearbox pretty freely. Can I slide the shaft from the gearbox without disturbing parts inside the gearbox? Do I need to open the gearbox to deal with this looseness?

Anyone?

Thank you in advance, Mike.

/ JD 47" snowblower gearbox question #2  
The auger shaft is greased and I'm pretty sure that they engineered some "slop" into the shear bolts so that they move to keep lubricated.

/ JD 47" snowblower gearbox question
What I am talking about does not involve the auger or the shear bolts. I'm talking about play between the auger shaft (31) and collar (26) in the diagram below.

Attachments

• gearbox.gif
    gearbox.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,195
Well I removed the auger shaft from the gearbox this morning and answered my own question. After removing the augers the shaft just slides out of the gearbox freely. JD used a woodruff key to to make the shaft rotate with the output gear/sleeve in the gearbox. My woodruff was beat up and it looks like a new one will fix it up.

Maybe this info will help someone else out there.

Mike.

/ JD 47" snowblower gearbox question #5  
But 26 is the auger shaft and 31 is the auger sliding over that shaft and is usually secure with a shear bolt at both end of the augers, same system as # 3. Your 47" blower could be an older model then the one I have with a different set-up. What year is it do you know. Pics would also help. Henri

/ JD 47" snowblower gearbox question #6  
Ok, I was writing this as you post yours. Happy you figure it out. Henri

No 26 is a collar that is pressed into the wedge gear and is inside the gearbox. 31 is the shaft that engages the collar. Both the collar and shaft are slotted and engage each other using a 1/4" key. What I have been calling the "augers" are the big flights that move the snow and ride on the auger shaft.

Mike.

Which leads to my next question......how much play is there in this connection on a new machine. Is it snug or did JD leave some play? The slot in the shaft looks to be in great condition but a new key does not snug it up completely, there is still some play.

Mike.

/ JD 47" snowblower gearbox question #9  
Got it, but my question stand, what year is your blower. The diagram that you posted looks different than the set-up of my blower. Henri

Got it, but my question stand, what year is your blower. The diagram that you posted looks different than the set-up of my blower. Henri

I'm sorry but I'm not sure of the age of the tool. I bought it used and it is supposed to be about 5 years old. It has the steel thrower as opposed to the newer carbon fiber part and is identical to the diagram that I posted above.

Mike.