Seal, which way should it go

/ Seal, which way should it go #11  
I cannot tell from the pictures, but have always went on the addage lip to the pressure, or what you want to contain.

/ Seal, which way should it go #12  
Is there a garter spring in the seal? If so, that is definitely on the oil side. A double lip seal is designed so the outer lip keeps contaminants such as sawdust or dirt from getting to the oil sealing lip and damaging it. Generally, any lettering will be on the dry side of the seal as the guys have said.

Sean

/ Seal, which way should it go #13  
I cannot tell from the pictures, but have always went on the addage lip to the pressure, or what you want to contain.

If a grease bearing is over greased the only place for it to relieve is through the lip in the seal. If lip out the grease can seep through. If lip in it the pressure of the grease will blow out the seal.

/ Seal, which way should it go
Ok, so I took a run to my garage and had a better look at the seal. First, yes there is a spring inside and it is on the inside lip in other word if you are looking at the seal with the # facing you, it would be the second lip inside. That lip is also different than the other one. It is made more like a V shape. The other lip closest to you or I should say closest to the face of the seal with the # is more like a wiper lip and is shape going outside. I took some more pics. So if logic stands, the lip with the spring, shape like a V should be the oil seal and the other lip should be the one stopping the contaminant from going in which mean the seal is wrongly install. Your thoughts please.

IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0335.jpg IMG_0330.jpg

/ Seal, which way should it go #15  
Spring matters not. Lip in for oil. Lip out for grease.

/ Seal, which way should it go
Spring matters not. Lip in for oil. Lip out for grease.

I don't get it. There is no grease and both lip are different. You may be right but I still don't no by your quote which lip is the oil seal.

/ Seal, which way should it go #17  
We replace bearings on chilled cast iron calender rollers for paper mills and steel mills. These calender rollers weigh 35 tons+. The bearings for these calender rollers are most time grease bearings but sometimes oil bearings. A single spherical bearing for one these rollers costs from $3,000-$4,000. It's lip in for oil and lip out for grease. Regardless of which side the numbers on the seal are.

/ Seal, which way should it go #18  
The side where you can see the spring defiantly goes towards the oil.

/ Seal, which way should it go #19  
You are correct in what you are saying, this is indeed a double lip type seal, the open side of the seal should face the oil or grease. the other outer lip is to prevent contamination from entering the seal and bearing area.
Before installing the seal I would check the bearing and shaft for any excessive wear that would make the new seal weep oil. Another thing to check here is that the vent/ breather on the housing is clear and that there is no chance that pressure could build up within the housing.
Hope this is of some help