Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: Seal, which way should it go

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    Spring matters not. Lip in for oil. Lip out for grease.
    The garter spring is NEVER installed towards the elements, period. A 'grease' seal as you describe with the lip facing outwards so as to relieve pressure will not have a garter spring.
    This is an oil seal application and your comments about grease seals, while relevant in the big picture, are confusing the OP and the immediate example of an OIL seal.
    This is not Toys R Us where you can throw a tantrum in the aisle to get what you want.

We live in a democracy, and there was an election.

Tractor
    Lanz 710

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    The garter spring is NEVER installed towards the elements, period. A 'grease' seal as you describe with the lip facing outwards so as to relieve pressure will not have a garter spring.
    This is an oil seal application and your comments about grease seals, while relevant in the big picture, are confusing the OP and the immediate example of an OIL seal.
    As I said the open side of this double lip seal (Garter spring side) should always face the oil or grease, and the other side of the seal being used for contamination prevention.
    This seal is in no way designed to relieve any pressure that might build up within the housing, that is why a breather would be fitted.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by donaldmaciver View Post
    As I said the open side of this double lip seal (Garter spring side) should always face the oil or grease, and the other side of the seal being used for contamination prevention.
    This seal is in no way designed to relieve any pressure that might build up within the housing, that is why a breather would be fitted.
    I agree.
    My comment was directed at the post I quoted.
    This is not Toys R Us where you can throw a tantrum in the aisle to get what you want.

We live in a democracy, and there was an election.

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305, 600hr

Thank you guys! Now this really help and it makes more sense than the way it was install. Donald, yes that is the first thing I check. The bearing is nice and tight and the output shaft is strait. I also remove the breather, had it soak in a rust remover, made sure the little "ball spring check valve" inside worked good and reinstall. Now I can proceed with the installation of the seal and work on making a chain guard. Henri
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305, 600hr

Now this makes more sense. I knew when I first look at it, it didn't look right. Again, thanks guys! Henri

Seal, which way should it go-img_0341-jpg Seal, which way should it go-img_0342-jpg
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I think you'll have better luck with the seal not leaking this time.

Sean

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123