Seal, which way should it go

/ Seal, which way should it go #21  
Spring matters not. Lip in for oil. Lip out for grease.

The garter spring is NEVER installed towards the elements, period. A 'grease' seal as you describe with the lip facing outwards so as to relieve pressure will not have a garter spring.
This is an oil seal application and your comments about grease seals, while relevant in the big picture, are confusing the OP and the immediate example of an OIL seal.

/ Seal, which way should it go #22  
The garter spring is NEVER installed towards the elements, period. A 'grease' seal as you describe with the lip facing outwards so as to relieve pressure will not have a garter spring.
This is an oil seal application and your comments about grease seals, while relevant in the big picture, are confusing the OP and the immediate example of an OIL seal.

As I said the open side of this double lip seal (Garter spring side) should always face the oil or grease, and the other side of the seal being used for contamination prevention.
This seal is in no way designed to relieve any pressure that might build up within the housing, that is why a breather would be fitted.

/ Seal, which way should it go #23  
As I said the open side of this double lip seal (Garter spring side) should always face the oil or grease, and the other side of the seal being used for contamination prevention.
This seal is in no way designed to relieve any pressure that might build up within the housing, that is why a breather would be fitted.

I agree.
My comment was directed at the post I quoted.

/ Seal, which way should it go
Thank you guys! Now this really help and it makes more sense than the way it was install. Donald, yes that is the first thing I check. The bearing is nice and tight and the output shaft is strait. I also remove the breather, had it soak in a rust remover, made sure the little "ball spring check valve" inside worked good and reinstall. Now I can proceed with the installation of the seal and work on making a chain guard. Henri

/ Seal, which way should it go
Now this makes more sense. I knew when I first look at it, it didn't look right. Again, thanks guys! Henri

IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg

/ Seal, which way should it go #26  
I think you'll have better luck with the seal not leaking this time.

Sean