Seal, which way should it go

/ Seal, which way should it go #1  

Henri88

Platinum Member
Tractor
2008 JD 2305, 1000hrs
I'm replacing the output seal on the button of my Howse 4' bush cutter. It was leaking and since I just bought it use, I'm questioning if it was install correctly. I'm sure it was at the factory, but it could have been change afterward. Usually to my recollection, when you install a seal, the face of the seal is on the outside, but in this case it is facing inside the gearbox. Anyway, I took some pictures of the way it is set-up but I'm really not sure this is the right way. Please take a look and give me your feedback. The way it is set-up, their is a space between the endcap and the seal. This space was fill with grass and whatever manage to get in there. Suspect that this could have been the reason for the leak. Edit: Forgot to mention, this is a double lip seal.

IMG_0294.jpg IMG_0295.jpg IMG_0296.jpg IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0301.jpg IMG_0302.jpg

Last edited:
   / Seal, which way should it go #2  
Henri:

The side with the lettering is the dry side.

Mike.

/ Seal, which way should it go #3  
Are you asking which direction the lip of the seal should go?

/ Seal, which way should it go
Henri:

The side with the lettering is the dry side.

Mike.

Mike that's what I thought also. The way it is set-up right now, the lettering would be facing the bearing.

/ Seal, which way should it go #6  
As Mike said. Lip pointing out for grease. Lip pointing in for oil.

/ Seal, which way should it go #7  
That looks like it could be backwards,but it hard to tell for sure from the pictures. Basically, you want it so if pressure is to increase inside the gear box it pushes the seal towards the shaft.

/ Seal, which way should it go #8  
Most oil applications are not pressurized. Lip goes in. Most grease applications are pressurized. Lip goes out. Lip in on a grease application and a squirt or two too much with a pressure grease gun will blow the seal.

/ Seal, which way should it go
That looks like it could be backwards,but it hard to tell for sure from the pictures. Basically, you want it so if pressure is to increase inside the gear box it pushes the seal towards the shaft.

In that case, it would be install correctly. Also I forgot to mention but this is a double lip seal. On this pic you can see the small lip turn outside so with any kind of pressure the lip would push again the shaft.

IMG_0299.jpg

Last edited:
   / Seal, which way should it go #10  
Most oil applications are not pressurized. Lip goes in. Most grease applications are pressurized. Lip goes out. Lip in on a grease application and a squirt or two too much with a pressure grease gun will blow the seal.

That makes sense, you learn something new every day.