What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires?

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #11  
I have a 4300 with a 430 loader and 72" bucket. With a tooth bar installed, it digs quite well. I really like the larger bucket because I seem to be hauling bucket dulls of dirt 300 - 500ft for projects that I have been doing. It saves a lot of time and wear on the grass not having to make so many trips. I have never loaded my bucket up too much for my loader to lift with gravel or dirt. You can pick up the rear wheels. I have a lighter counterweight and a heavier one depending on what I am doing. The heavy one is probably 1500-1600 lbs. it digs real well with that weight on back.

I also have turfs and mow my yard with this tractor. I put about 120lbs of windshield washer fluid in each rear tire. I did it for stability reasons, but did not want to completely fill the tire to keep weight down when mowing. I find that with 4 wheel drive and a counterweight, I do not have a problem with traction when digging with the loader. I also have chains, but don't use them except for winter.

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #12  
Just thought I would throw out there that these buckets, while decent at digging with a tooth bar, aren't designed for digging. They can do it, we all use them for this, but just be careful about getting a wider bucket. More of a surface edge to be trying to push into the ground. You will also probably want to find some scarifers or something to loosen up the soil to help dig better. Also, I have a 66in bucket on my tractor, and the back end still gets real light while trying to pick up heavy loads and I have about 1200lbs of rim guard in my rear tires. I have the LA524 loader and between tractor, FEL and liquid ballast, the tractor weighs about 3 ton. It's an open station and supposedly the LA524 will not pick up as much as the 300X JD loader, but my loader still seems to be more powerful than the weight I have. I am making a 1400# ballast box, and I think I will finally have loader lift capability matched with my tractor. It's nice to think of all the HP and power our machines have, but extra unusable power is just extra wasted money. No sense in oversizing the bucket.

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires?
Ok, read through the rest of the replies. I can see the advantages and disadvantages. I probably won't be doing much dirt moving in the bucket to long distances and the snow is not a problem. the longer it takes me to move snow the merrier. I like playin in the snow. I think I better go with the smaller bucket. I'll probably pick up a random dump trailer for my truck and just load the dirt in there and move it if I need to relocate it on the property.

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #14  
I had turf tires on my JD970 and a 72" bucket. I've got a HD 72" bucket with cutting edge on my JD110TLB. Frame size; the 110 is not a lot bigger than the 970 - it's just built with considerably heavier components! Your 3520 probably has a similar wheel base to the 970 - although it will be heavier with the cab, etc.

I still use the JD ballast box that I had with my 970 - quick hitch on the tractor and QA pins on ballast box. I had it filled with sack-crete and wanna think it was somewhere around 1,100lbs. I guess Deere figures ~1,300lbs if it's filled with Portland cement.

The turf tires were great on snow on the 970! When it got icey, I put on a set of ladder-type chains and went to town! The front bucket would just cover my front and rear tires (barely).

I never had any concerns regarding close quarters with either tractor and with the eHydro tranny, creeping in around building's, fence lines or foundations is a snap!

I would not recommend the 300X. The CX will lift considerably more weight than the X - IIRC it's ~1,200 for the X and ~1,500 for the CX - that's 25% more.

As well, if you have an opportunity; go to a dealer Kubota, Deere, etc. and look at a 60" vs 72" on different tractor/loader combinations. You'll have a better perspective and be able to make a more informed decision.

Good luck.

AKfish

I had turf tires on my JD970 and a 72" bucket. I've got a HD 72" bucket with cutting edge on my JD110TLB. Frame size; the 110 is not a lot bigger than the 970 - it's just built with considerably heavier components! Your 3520 probably has a similar wheel base to the 970 - although it will be heavier with the cab, etc.

I still use the JD ballast box that I had with my 970 - quick hitch on the tractor and QA pins on ballast box. I had it filled with sack-crete and wanna think it was somewhere around 1,100lbs. I guess Deere figures ~1,300lbs if it's filled with Portland cement.

The turf tires were great on snow on the 970! When it got icey, I put on a set of ladder-type chains and went to town! The front bucket would just cover my front and rear tires (barely).

I never had any concerns regarding close quarters with either tractor and with the eHydro tranny, creeping in around building's, fence lines or foundations is a snap!

I would not recommend the 300X. The CX will lift considerably more weight than the X - IIRC it's ~1,200 for the X and ~1,500 for the CX - that's 25% more.

As well, if you have an opportunity; go to a dealer Kubota, Deere, etc. and look at a 60" vs 72" on different tractor/loader combinations. You'll have a better perspective and be able to make a more informed decision.

Good luck.

AKfish
im pretty much set on the CX after reviews. What is boggling me is the bucket size. I will indeed get the HD bucket for sure. With the 72 bucket, I don't want to be struggling to fill the bucket and destroy my turfs. I don't want to ad chains because the fuel tank is close to the tires. I do site excavation and development for a living and I know that debris can some times get flung into the wheel well and I don't want a rock to get hung up and flung into the tank. Or is this being to precautious? My thinking is with the narrower bucket, I can strip topsoil to the point where it rolls out of the bucket. My fear with the bigger bucket is, the larger displacement it wont allow to get a full bucket. When I buy a bucket, I want it to get full. . Thanks

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #16  
im pretty much set on the CX after reviews. What is boggling me is the bucket size. I will indeed get the HD bucket for sure. With the 72 bucket, I don't want to be struggling to fill the bucket and destroy my turfs. I don't want to ad chains because the fuel tank is close to the tires. I do site excavation and development for a living and I know that debris can some times get flung into the wheel well and I don't want a rock to get hung up and flung into the tank. Or is this being to precautious? My thinking is with the narrower bucket, I can strip topsoil to the point where it rolls out of the bucket. My fear with the bigger bucket is, the larger displacement it wont allow to get a full bucket. When I buy a bucket, I want it to get full. . Thanks

If you look at the JD specs for loaders they list most of them @ 4"-5" digging depth. The weight per horsepower of the smaller tractors generally means that you'll loose traction before you'll dig any deeper than that -- in the first scoop! Common sense; if you plan to dig any deeper you'll be doing it by shaving a couple of inches with each scoopful.

And, a heavier bucket WITH a cutting edge will dig easier/better than a standard bucket.

It really depends upon what/how you plan to use the loader most of the time... If you're working a dirt pile, sand pile or snow; you can HIT it and roll the bucket back - and the bucket will be rollin' overfull! Sod, hard ground, wet dirt, etc. the bucket angle is just below grade at a slight angle. All the tractor's tires are in good contact with the ground... if your front tires are off the ground - you've lost the advantage of 4x4 traction assist and the bucket will never fill and most likely will dead stop the tractor with the rear tires spinning and leave you with 25%-30% of a full bucket!

I wouldn't worry about the tires being able to hold a large enough rock in the tire cleats to damage the fuel tank. I had the large, cleated turfs on my 970 and I don't think it would/could jam more than a 1"-2" rock and hold it past vertical! If the rock was bigger it would just fall off.

AKfish

If you look at the JD specs for loaders they list most of them @ 4"-5" digging depth. The weight per horsepower of the smaller tractors generally means that you'll loose traction before you'll dig any deeper than that -- in the first scoop! Common sense; if you plan to dig any deeper you'll be doing it by shaving a couple of inches with each scoopful.

And, a heavier bucket WITH a cutting edge will dig easier/better than a standard bucket.

It really depends upon what/how you plan to use the loader most of the time... If you're working a dirt pile, sand pile or snow; you can HIT it and roll the bucket back - and the bucket will be rollin' overfull! Sod, hard ground, wet dirt, etc. the bucket angle is just below grade at a slight angle. All the tractor's tires are in good contact with the ground... if your front tires are off the ground - you've lost the advantage of 4x4 traction assist and the bucket will never fill and most likely will dead stop the tractor with the rear tires spinning and leave you with 25%-30% of a full bucket!

I wouldn't worry about the tires being able to hold a large enough rock in the tire cleats to damage the fuel tank. I had the large, cleated turfs on my 970 and I don't think it would/could jam more than a 1"-2" rock and hold it past vertical! If the rock was bigger it would just fall off.

AKfish
oh man! back to the drawing board. Good thing that it will be another month before I put the order in. Awesome points.

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #18  
Forgot to mention that I also have a toothbar on that 4-in-1 bucket. Standard two-bolt side attachment, fits right over the forward cutting edge. Great for scraping/digging into compacted soils. Also handy when trying to get a bucket full out of a rock pile. Hard to impossible task with a simple materials bucket on such a light tractor.

//greg//

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #19  
Like others have said, it just depends on what you'll be doing with it. This time around I went with the 60" bucket and R3 turfs. With R4s I might have went with the 72".

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #20  
I use a 60" bucket with my 3520 and agri tyres. I find it already very cumbersome around trees and buildings and when full it is very heavy for the 300CX and the front axle. I wouldn't try anything bigger.

Attachments

• DSCF1289 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    DSCF1289 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCF1421 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    DSCF1421 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    572.2 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCF1804 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1804 (Copier).JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCF1954 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
    DSCF1954 [Résolution de l'écran].JPG