What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires?

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #1  

BigMike50

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse
I already have the tractor. Its a brand new tractor with premium cab and turf tires. The cab ads almost 1000 pounds to the tractor. So im about 2 tons in weight without any attachments. I have the turfs because I have a mmm and do nice mowing around the house. I plan on doing some digging and want to steer clear of adding chains. I figure a toothbar will be a must. A 72" bucket would be good for loose material and a 60 inch bucket will give less displacemt ideal for digging. The tractor I believe sits at 60 inches at the rear tires so it shouldn't interfere. Just looking for some guys input on the situation before I order the front end loader for this beast. Any input will be grand. thanks

also, I have a counter weight I made out of boredom that I made which weighs in about 11oo pounds. good or bad?

Last edited:
   / What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #2  
1,100lbs is good, very good! What are you planning to dig? Are you planning to buy 2 buckets? Snow, dirt, sand, gravel... Bigger is always better with snow, of course. If you're only planning (or would prefer) to buy just 1 bucket - get the 72 inch.

The 300cx loader will do very well with a 72 inch bucket. You won't be able to haul heaping loads of wet sand; but, it will do just fine with a good measure of common sense! :)

AKfish

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires?
Yeah, I plan to just get one bucket for now. I want to get the heavy duty bucket with replaceable cutting edge. I don't plan to dig all the time but I do plan on digging about 3 foot down and 30 foot wide for a retaining wall. Also plan on stripping topsoil for a driveway. So you think the 72 is the way to go? When would the 60 inch be more ideal? Probably on a 2x20 machine huh?

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #4  
I agree with AKfish but you might want to look over the JD owners manual for the 300X & 300CX loaders. http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW52222_19/?tM=HO
I'm facing the same issues with my new 3520 that will be used 95% of the time for mowing and didn't want the rear tires loaded but looking at the recommendations for ballast using FEL's on this tractor, it appears you can't hardly have too much when it comes to stability and keeping the tires on the ground.
I'm coming to the conclusion of going with the 300CX and 1100 lbs in the ballast box as you have. If it still feels light in the rear, I can add wheel weights.
This is actually my first FEL so it's a learning process and one I plan to proceed with due respect.
Besides, if I rolled it and the tractor didn't kill me......the wife could make life in farmville unpleasant for a long time.

I agree with AKfish but you might want to look over the JD owners manual for the 300X & 300CX loaders. http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW52222_19/?tM=HO
I'm facing the same issues with my new 3520 that will be used 95% of the time for mowing and didn't want the rear tires loaded but looking at the recommendations for ballast using FEL's on this tractor, it appears you can't hardly have too much when it comes to stability and keeping the tires on the ground.
I'm coming to the conclusion of going with the 300CX and 1100 lbs in the ballast box as you have. If it still feels light in the rear, I can add wheel weights.
This is actually my first FEL so it's a learning process and one I plan to proceed with due respect.
Besides, if I rolled it and the tractor didn't kill me......the wife could make life in farmville unpleasant for a long time.
Yeah loading the tires is definatly out of the question for me as well. I have pasture to mow where it can get damp in some areas so I need to remain light at times.

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #6  
Personally I've decided on the 60" bucket only because I have a hopper to dump into that has a 6 ft. opening.

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #7  
Yeah loading the tires is definatly out of the question for me as well. I have pasture to mow where it can get damp in some areas so I need to remain light at times.
"Light" isn't a factor as much as is footprint. You can eventually wear grooves in the ground just by pulling a little red wagon. Empty. The wider the tire, the more square inches of ground contact. The larger the contact patch - the less the compaction (ruts). Turf have a large footprint by design, that's why some of them are called flotation tires. The trade-off is that they provide lousy traction. Ballast adds traction. Wait till your turfs start spinning up black streaks on your wet lawn, you'll see first hand. At that point you'll probably start thinking ballast. It's best to head that particular issue off at the pass.

I personally didn't want the knuckle-busting over-priced bolt-on wheel weights the dealers try to sell. Yellow paint is evidently very very expensive. I filled all four of my 3720 tires with nearly half a ton of RimGuard; about 75 pounds in each front and 425 pounds in each rear. Cost a whole $237 bucks. Installed.

And before you select a bucket, take a serious look at the 61" Frontier 4-in-1 bucket. The work it saves me is worth every nickel of additional expense (over that of a simple materials bucket). Also look at the 300X loader vice the 300CX. Except for cylinder size and price, they're otherwise identical in all respects. The money I saved getting a 300X went toward the extra cost of the 4-in-1.

//greg//

"Light" isn't a factor as much as is footprint. You can eventually wear grooves in the ground just by pulling a little red wagon. Empty. The wider the tire, the more square inches of ground contact. The larger the contact patch - the less the compaction (ruts). Turf have a large footprint by design, that's why some of them are called flotation tires. The trade-off is that they provide lousy traction. Ballast adds traction. Wait till your turfs start spinning up black streaks on your wet lawn, you'll see first hand. At that point you'll probably start thinking ballast. It's best to head that particular issue off at the pass.

I personally didn't want the knuckle-busting over-priced bolt-on wheel weights the dealers try to sell. Yellow paint is evidently very very expensive. I filled all four of my 3720 tires with nearly half a ton of RimGuard; about 75 pounds in each front and 425 pounds in each rear. Cost a whole $237 bucks. Installed.

And before you select a bucket, take a serious look at the 61" Frontier 4-in-1 bucket. The work it saves me is worth every nickel of additional expense (over that of a simple materials bucket). Also look at the 300X loader vice the 300CX. Except for cylinder size and price, they're otherwise identical in all respects. The money I saved getting a 300X went toward the extra cost of the 4-in-1.

//greg//

A lot of great information. Thank you

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #9  
Hiya,

I have the 72" HD bucket with the replaceable cutting edge on my 3320 cab/300cx. AK is correct, you won't be able to have a heaping bucket if your working with wet soil. Loose dry material is fine, as is snow. One thing I should mention, the 300 CX with a 72" bucket heaped with material is fully capable of lifting the rear of an open station tractor off the ground if it's not properly ballasted, just ask my next door neighbor about his first day with his 3120.... Also, with the 72, make sure you keep the fill even, the bucket has enough "hang" off to the sides of the loader arms to affect the stability of the tractor as you raise the load possibly presenting a tipping hazard.

I plan on getting a 61" bucket this year and slap on my toothbar to tackle some projects that will require me to dig a bit, The 72" is good for scooping up material from piles, digging, not so much.

On the subject of ballast, Greg_g is correct, loaded tires are far better for traction. Once you break a tire loose on wet ground, your done and you have big ruts. The idea is not to break them loose and weight is one factor as is proper inflation pressure. Now, not all weight is equal, ballast added to tires is weight that aids in tractive effort and stability, weight added to chassis or 3pt does both of those however it changes loads "seen" by the axle housings. Loaded rears or wheel weights even on a cab tractor are not enough to counterbalance a loader. I have a Portland filled Deere weight box with 4 40 Lb suitcase weights on top. Because the weight hangs in back of the rear axle, the ballast box lightens the load on the front axle when your picking up. (OK, proper ballast soapbox is put away)

Tom

/ What loader bucket size for john deere 3520 with turf tires? #10  
I would buy the sixty (60) inch heavy duty bucket and never look back. The seventy two (72) inch bucket is nice for that one percent of the time you would actually need or use. The sixty inch would allow for more versatility and be easier to use in tight close place. A seventy two (72) inch bucket is nice for use around an open space barnyard but a dog to use around a close space home yard.