Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #1  

mickeyw

Bronze Member
Tractor
1987 Renault 68-12, 1981 JD1640, 1973 Ford 3000
Hi All,

We have a 1981 JD1640 that I hope to use to power a log splitter I am currently building.
The JD has one pair of QD hydraulic outlets to the rear, these work with the one double-acting control valve fitted to the tractor. To date I have only had need to use these for a tipping trailer.

Initially I was told by an agri engineer that I would be able to run the splitter from these connections, using the splitter's own control valve. Further reading on here since then has brought doubt to my mind. There is talk about installing power beyond kits, but that not all models need these to achieve that external capability.

Can somebody please give me a little guidance on this subject? The splitter is very nearly finished, and I shall be a tad disappointed if I can't try it out.

TIA

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #2  
If you route hoses from the splitter cylinder directly to this existing valve, it will work. If you intend to have a valve on the splitter then you cannot use this valve without modification. I installed an extension rod/handle from the existing remote valve to where it would be convenient when using the splitter. I don't have the auto return using this method.
Dennis

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640
Dennis, thank you for your reponse. What you are saying is what I feared, although I am under the impression that this may vary with different makes and models.
I understand, yes, I could run the splitter cylinder directly from the onboard valve, but that is a bit awkward on a tractor of this size, even with an extension to the valve control handle. However this may well be how I carry out my initial testing of the splitter.

I think I need to find out how to connect an additional control valve, but one that can be connected part time.

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #4  
It should work just fine, just use a rope or bungee to hold the valve on the tractor open so the fluid flows to the splitter mounted valve.

This tractor may have a CC (closed center) hydraulic system, so if it does configure the splitter valve accordingly.

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #5  
I agree with Kenny that your 1640 has closed-center hyd's therefore the log splitter valve needs to be closed-center. As far as I remember JD utility tractors of that vintage had no true power beyond block but you could plumb log splitter valve similar to frt end loader valve if you didn't want to utilize the scv's.

Attachments

• WP1062_________UN01JAN94.gif
    WP1062_________UN01JAN94.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 779
  • TP5068_________UN01JAN94.gif
    TP5068_________UN01JAN94.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 217
Jim, were the FEL valves separate to the tractor's main services? Some parts in your diagram I recognise, but not all. What am I looking at, the additional FEL plumbing? I shall have to look under the JD with this drg to hand.

Kenny, I understand what you say regards holding the SCV open, but how does a CC system affect the way I connect the splitter?

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #7  
The hyd schematics I [posted are for a JD 145 frt loader valve that would work on a tractor similar to yours. This type plumbing is as close to power beyond that's available on a JD utility tractor. This setup will effeminate the need to power log splitter from the SCV's(rear remotes). Simply remove fitting(parts key #15 2nd photo) and install fitting(parts key #21 1st photo) for pressure oil and route return oil to the ported filter cover. Trying to operate an open-center hyd valve on a closed-center system causes the frt pump to run out of supply oil and start cavitating.

Jim this is great info, many thanks. Are those parts diagrams from an online resource? I find parts manuals are often far better to study when trying to understand the workings of whatever you're looking at.
My splitter valve was supplied to work from a dedicated engine and pump, so I'm guessing it is likely to be an open centre type.

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #9  
Kenny, I understand what you say regards holding the SCV open, but how does a CC system affect the way I connect the splitter?

You wouldn't hook it up any differently, but the new have can usually be configured either way CC, or OC (open center)-that must match your setup. You will have to confirm what you have, but I think its CC as mentioned.

The parts pics are from www.jdparts.com and its free to register, it's the same system the parts counter guys use at the dealer. There is a quick little tutorial linked in my signature below if you need help with it. Just "think like a parts guy" to find stuff.

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #10  
My splitter valve was supplied to work from a dedicated engine and pump, so I'm guessing it is likely to be an open centre type.

Yes, most likely OC then. Who makes the valve? Are there any numbers on it? There may be a CC plug available for it.