JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #1  

barry1me

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I had something weird happen today to my 2520. I noticed that during a throttle up it kinda hesitated bucked...some smoke and then went to the set RPM. It has never done this before. It has 178hours on it so far. I checked the seddiment bowl and it was pretty dirty. I cleaned it all out, clean the small filters inside of it, and replaced the black fuel filter. After I did this it didnt seam to change the result. If I increase the throttle slowly it will not give issue. Also it had a bluish/blackish smoke on throttle up. Also I noticed that when I started the engine after warm and didnt warm the glow plugs the glow plug light would stay on for 3-4 seconds after engine has been running. Anyone have any ideas of whats going on with it? I filled the tank up, checked the air filter everything looked good. Im going to put some amsoil cetened booster in the tank tomorrow.

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up
anyone?

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #3  
I've had my 2520 for nearly three years now, and have not experienced that. I do get a puff of black smoke when I start it up cold, but that's what I'd expect.

It sounds like a fuel quality issue. If your filters were significantly dirty, you might consider getting diesel from a different source. If it persists, you should have the dealer look at the injector pump and make sure there's not a problem there.

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #4  
If sediment bowl is dirty with only 178 hrs on the tachometer I reccommend checking fuel flow out of tank. If fuel flow is adequate when fuel level gets low I'd flush tank to get any more of the foreign material out of tank.

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #5  
I am pretty new to working with Diesel engines, but I have heard that the color of the smoke is a big part of the diagnosis. Something that the newer tier 4 engines are removing since they produce little smoke.

I found the following info on this site.

http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php

------------------------------------

We can generally understand what is wrong with a diesel engine by the colour of smoke emitted from the exhaust. There are three basic colours - black, white and blue.

Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for:

Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
Faulty injector pump
Dirty air cleaner
Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)

White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

Engine/pump timing out
Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
Low engine compression
Water/petrol in the fuel

Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil

Worn cylinders or piston rings
Faulty valves or valve stem seals
Engine over full with engine oil
Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #6  
You really should be running a good fuel additive. It is amazing what help they can have. Also, depending on the age of your fuel and the quality, a good fuel additive will significantly improve its operation.

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #7  
I cannot help the OP, since I have never had that problem with my smaller tractor. I am curious about the last post, though. Are most people using a fuel additive all the time? During the summer when I am burning through a lot of fuel that thought never crosses my mind. Maybe I should change this and start using one?

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #8  
I think keeping the contaminants(dirt & water) out of diesel is a lot more important than adding a fuel additive. I've been custom hay baling/farming since '87 and rarely use the high priced fuel conditioner and that's usually only when I have an injector problem which is very rare. I have one tractor that I've owned for 20 yrs and it has 10,500 + hrs on the speed hour meter with no inj pump repair. Granted the people that live in the North sometimes need an anti-gell product. But to put fuel conditioner in every time one fuels up is not for me.

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up #9  
Good fuel treatment does more than just treats bad fuel. It cleans the injectors, controls moisture improves cetane, and in general can improve fuel economy and horsepower.

Chances are you can live without it. But in today's fuels with less sulphur, there is less lubrication.

Fuel treatment isn't a gimmick, but not all fuel treatments are the same. Will you necessarily see anything spectatular? Probably not. The changes are subtle in small engines. I have seen noticeable improvements in my truck with the "regen" in my truck. Horsepower, nope! Maybe on engine dyno.

But at any rate, fuel treatment is a lot cheaper than fuel injectors.

/ JD 2520 sort of sluggish during throttle up
I put some amsoil cetane booster in tank today and drove it around. All seems well now. I will keep my eye on it the next few weeks and update this thread to let everyone know if problem went away. No more sluggish throttle up now!