adding belly mower to 3320

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #1  

sacarmic

Tractor
Deere 5085e, 3320
I;ve got a 3320 I'm thinking about getting a belly mower for. THere are several used ones around with very little time on them. Got a few questions for anyone using a belly mower on the 3320.

-Besides the mid-PTO kit, is there anything else I need?

-Do they make a 72" drive over model that isn't auto connect?

-for the 72" 7-iron, how difficult is it to take the mower on and off?

Thanks,
Scott

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #2  
I;ve got a 3320 I'm thinking about getting a belly mower for. THere are several used ones around with very little time on them. Got a few questions for anyone using a belly mower on the 3320.

-Besides the mid-PTO kit, is there anything else I need?

-Do they make a 72" drive over model that isn't auto connect?

-for the 72" 7-iron, how difficult is it to take the mower on and off?

Thanks,
Scott
I have the 72" 7-Iron non-drive over model for the 3720.

You will need the mid pto kit with control lever in addition to the lift hardware/cylinder/hose connections.

I don't attach and detach the mower deck a whole lot since it is my main mowing machine for 6/7 acres of lawn throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons. But, it isn't so bad after doing it a few times. No tools are needed to connect or disconnect the deck which makes it nice. The deck is quite heavy and can be cumbersome positioning it under the tractor but is much easier when on a concrete floor (like mine). The drive over deck was not available in 2007 when I purchased mine but if it were I'd probably go for it.

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #3  
I've had a MMM on my 3320 since I bought it. We first planned to only use the 3320 for mowing lawn, but found that we needed something smaller for "trim work" near the house and around and between trees. We added the smallest hydrostatic mower JD makes. My wife does the "trim work" on the small JD and I do the bulk of the mowing with the 3320 MMM.

The 3320 with MMM is amazingly nimble. The only limitation is really due to its width, turning radius, and height (can't go under low trees). I do try to avoid real tight turns if the ground is soft (damp) to avoid damage with the R4 tires.

I take the mower deck off each winter. Its a bit of a process, but not really that hard. I created a step-by-step guide to help remind me of the steps:

REMOVING John Deere 3320 Mower Deck:
<>Fully raise mower deck
<>Turn off engine & secure tractor
<>Disconnect front spring assembly to allow front mower deck wheels to turn freely
<>Remove rear wheel pins and turn mower deck wheels sideways
<>Start tractor and raise deck fully
<>Turn steering wheel fully left
<>Turn knob to high grass cut setting
<>Lower mower to the ground
<>Turn off engine & secure tractor
<>Unlock & rotate front pivot assembly; unlock u-pins and remove front bracket; use a lever & fulcrum to lift front of mower deck a bit in order to remove front pin
<>Disconnect j-pins at front of mower and remove front mower brackets
<>Put on latex glove(s) and disconnect drive shaft; lay shaft sideways on mower
<>Remove locking rings and pins to remove adjustable yokes front lift arms; don’t rotate yokes
<>Carefully roll mower out from under right side of tractor
<>Clean mower deck - especially under the belt covers - before storing to avoid mouse nests

ATTACHING John Deere 3320 Mower Deck:
<>Before attaching, lube the mower deck (spindles and under pivot-point) and the drive shaft. Make sure to grease the inside of the PTO connector.
<>Leave front tractor wheels straight.
<>Remove the silver yoke pins from the back of the mower deck being careful not to rotate yokes.
<>Pull the mower deck underneath the tractor from right to left. Make sure drive shaft is at minimum length and laid straight (pointing backward).
<>Line up and attach both front green hangers using the spring-loaded pins. Make sure the pins go all the way to the back of the holes. It helps to lift the front of the deck a bit with a lever.
<>Start tractor and push the mower raise/lower lever forward - to lower deck lift arms.
<>Attach both rear silver yokes using the pins and split rings - rings on outside. You may need to lower the cut height to lower deck arms enough, and lift the rear of the deck to help align holes.
<>Attach the drive shaft.
<>Attach two ends of front lift yoke to the mower deck using the spring-loaded U-pins. Make sure the pins go all the way to the back of the holes.
<>Place the front lift yoke pins onto the hooks and rotate as far as possible.
<>Use a lever & fulcrum to lift the front of the mower deck.
<>With the front of the mower deck lifted, continue to rotate the front left yoke handle backward until locking pin is in place.
<>Attach the front mower deck caster wheel springs.
<>Remove the pins from the rear mower deck wheels.
<>Rotate the wheels 90 degrees (wheels on the outside) and raise the wheel height until about ½" is above the top of the deck. Replace the pins.
<>Raise deck and adjust mower deck height using knob on left side of engine. Repeat until desired height is obtained.

The hardest part is usually getting the PTO to connect. Sometimes it connects first thing - sometimes its a hassle - mostly because of having to reach into the center - the mower deck keeps me from being able to get closer.

Once connected in the spring I'll run some non-connected stripes across the lawn in one direction with the small mower (that deck is kept on all the time) and then mow a stripe with the 3320, compare the height, adjust, and repeat until I get the height right. Its pretty easy to do

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #4  
If you do not have the Mid PTO / Lift Kit be sure to check parts price and / or labor to install. As a shop option it is way more expensive than original from the factory. Been there.

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #5  
So having a 3320 without a mid PTO about how much (the PTO kit & installation and the used belly mower) do you think this is all going to cost ?

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #6  
I bought my 72" 7 iron deck used for $1900 with all the ataching hardware 2 years ago. I can have the deck on or off in less than 10 minutes. That's on a concrete pad. If you buy used, make sure all the attaching hardware is there. Otherwise it can get pricey. The mid pto option was around $500 installed from my dealer when I bought my 3320 in 2008.

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #7  
So having a 3320 without a mid PTO about how much (the PTO kit & installation and the used belly mower) do you think this is all going to cost ?

I switched from a 3320 O/S to a 3320 CAB. I kept the Lift Cylinder / Brackets, so did not need to purchase that. I had the MMM from the O/S. The CAB needed the Mid PTO and I also added Power Beyond (approx $400 parts). Total parts - CDN$ 1548.69, Labor CDN$1609.44 + applicable taxes.
I suspect the Lift Cylinder etc could be roughly equal to the cost of PB. US$ parts and labor are probably less, by how much I can't say. New cost for a 72" MMM with lift / 3rd SCV was around $3,600, so determine used accordingly.

Keep in mind the 3rd SCV is also needed to control the lift cylinder. If you have no MMM and no Mid PTO it might be worth checking prices on a Riding Tractor or Z-Turn instead.

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #8  

just checked my invoice on my 2012 tractor with 72inch mmm autoconnect. it cost 3478.00 for the deck and mid pto plus install with the new tractor. That of course was with my 18 percent off discount

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #9  
just checked my invoice on my 2012 tractor with 72inch mmm autoconnect. it cost 3478.00 for the deck and mid pto plus install with the new tractor. That of course was with my 18 percent off discount

I have not checked the JD site for a while, nor have I checked parts prices, but in the past there was a big difference in price of Mid PTO when ordered with a new unit compared to coming back to the dealer much later and pricing as an add-on. That's why I was trying to give the OP a heads up to check pricing very carefully if he is missing components. Anything "new" from Parts plus Shop Labor, if necessary is going to be expensive.

/ adding belly mower to 3320 #10  
.......... Anything "new" from Parts plus Shop Labor, if necessary is going to be expensive.

That's for sure. Another example: latest price for vertical exhaust kit is $385 (over $400 with tax cash and carry) and not many very simple parts in the box.

Last edited: