Mowing 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #1  

golf

Need a decision on which one to buy any help is appreciated undecided and purchased tractor already with 54" but for 200.00 more I can get the 60". I am very particular with my grass, I have a sprinkler system in front and back grass is cut at 3" and groomed. My BX 2200 did a fine job with the 54" but the Deere 54" does not look as it is built very good compared o the 60" Deere Deck.

Pease help on which one o buy.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #2  
The wider the deck the easier it is to scalp ground that is not level. Even though 6" wider doesn't sound like much it will greatly speed the mowing up if you have a large yard. I would think that both the 54" and 60" would have the same quality of cut. If it looks better built then it probably is. At least that has been my experience when looking at mowers.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #3  
I went with a 54" due to obstructions and tight maneuvering requirement in my yard. If I had a Gulf Course type of lawn and cared about it enough I probably might consider the 60". As is I am mowing an old Cow Pasture with so many ruts and rocks I can not keep my blades sharp between cuttings. Probably would be better off with a brush hog except for the trees we planted there. Just look at what you are cutting and then go from there.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #4  
I don't know which 54" deck you are talking about. I have a 54" drive over deck that is as sturdy build as my friends 60" drive over deck! I went for the 54" because I have to maneuver around and in between trees, a 60" deck would be to large to do this.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #5  
What tractor do you have? I'd at least get the 60". I had one for years on my 855 and never scalped. When I traded last year for my 2520 I asked about a 72" deck, and was told it would scalp. I haven't had any trouble yet with scalping with the 72" deck and I mow some uneven stuff. The only trouble I've had with the wider deck is the overhang on each side will hang me up in a ditch it not careful. I never had that trouble with the 60" on the 855 though, that's why I ask what tractor you have. The wider the deck, the easier it will be for trimming close to objects since your uncut circle will be much less. This will also mean less backing when finishing up a swath. Plus when you get a place cut down to the annoying triangle, you won't have to make as many passes to knock it out.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower
I am getting the John Deere 1026r the 60" just looks likes there is much more room under the deck because it's more square looking then rounded looking like the 54". My Kubota BX2200 had a 54" and was fine but it was also built like the 60" John Deere deck, I always cut over what I already cut to blow the grass to the outside. My lawn is like a gof course I cut 3" high and grass is very thick, I just want the best deck for this application.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #7  
I would say the 60" would have more under deck clearance. With the 1026r you can get the auto connect on the 60" also I believe.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #8  
I had a 54" deck on a JD455, now have a 62" deck on a JD2210. The 54" deck did a prettier job, more even. What I gained with the 62" deck was mowing quicker.

I, unlike a previous poster, like the wider deck when mowing along obstacles, especially ditches. Keeps the tractor away from the object.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #9  
I regret not going with 60 or 62" a long time ago. Had 54" on 3 different tractors and was always happy with the results. Got a 60" drive over on 1026r and it does a nice job, cuts mowing times a little . and may notice some scalping not nothing major. Will say the 60" is heavier than the 54 ,

plus blades are heavier.

/ 54" vs 60" John Deere Mid Mount Mower #10  
I have a 72 on my 4310. Everyone told me it would scalp, it was fine. I would always go with the bigger deck.