Rebuild both cylinders at the same time?

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
While in the tractor shed the other day, I noticed that the right side boom cylinder on the 110 loader has got a pretty good leak started. Nice puddle there on the ground! Looked up the seal kit repair on www.JDParts.com and it's about ~$42.00. Whew... :)

So, my instinct is to rebuild both loader cylinders at the same time. I'm doing the work and it's a pretty cheap repair. But, the left side is dry - no problems. (If it ain't broke... don't fix it?!?) Nonetheless, my logic is that after rebuilding the right side the loader might have slightly unequal lifting capabilities and the older cylinder (~1,200-1,300hrs) will start to fail in short order.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks.

AKfish

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #2  
I would rebuild both. They each have the same wear, only one failed first.

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #3  
It is a crapshoot. Nothing says the other one will or will not start leaking any tiime within the next 1000 hours of use. Do whatever makes you happy.

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #4  
I would also rebuild both

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #5  
Buy two kits and put one in...

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #6  
Buy two kits and put one in...
I agree, UNLESS you cant have unexpected downtime from a leaking cylinder. The other one could die tomorrow, or it could be fine for 10 more years.

Aaron Z

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #7  
I am in the "do both" camp, like headlights, wipers, brakes, tires, ect they both have the same wear on them. Only time I wouldn't is if there is obvious damage from an outside force on the side that's leaking.

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #8  
Why is it that in my mind I would've done only one, until Kenny showed up? :confused: :thumbsup:

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #9  
Rick
I agree with you. There's no telling how many hrs use the other cylinder will give before it fails. I'm in the "if it aint broke don't fix it" group.

/ Rebuild both cylinders at the same time? #10  
Fix the one that leaks . I've seen this repairs go both ways . It is either fixed or leaks worse . The other cyl . may never leak , unless you open it up .