72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs.

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs. #1  

Deadman

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, X475
Hey, I'm looking at putting a 72 inch MMM on my John Deere 2520!

I'm hoping the 2520 has plenty of power to turn the 72 inch deck, but I'm wondering if it will cut damp/wet grass with ease, or does the engine bog down if you go kinda fast? My dealer thinks the 72 is too much for the 2520. I personally can't imagine it would struggle with it, but I'm just not sure. Anyone with a 72 on a 2520, please let me know how yours performs. I have a Flail Mower for the nasty cutting, so the mmm will really only be used for finish mowing, not cutting fields. I will have 4-5 acres to mow, so I was hoping to get the 72" instead of the 62" mmm to speed things up.

Dealer says I can only get independant lift with the 62 inch deck. Are there any drawbacks to the 3 point lift mechanism that you can think of? I know I'd need the lock up kit to use the 3 point with the mow deck locked-up, but I'm curious if you can install the mow deck with a different attachment on the 3 point, or does that interfere with the install? I wonder how high the MMM is off the ground when locked UP, because i flail mow some rough areas and dont want to be dragging the mmm on obstacles.

Sorry for all the questions, but the dealers all say "they work perfect"! lol We all know there are often things that annoy us, and I'd like to hear them before I choose the 72 over the 62! I don't have ANY trees to mow around right now as we just built a new house, so I'll try to keep the trees to a minimum! :)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I hear most everyone loves their 62, but I need more opinions on the 72! :)
Thanks guys!

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs. #2  
I have a 2520 with a 62D, so while I can't answer many of your questions about the 72" deck, I can tell you why I chose the 62D over the larger deck.

The biggest reason was the drive-over feature for removing and attaching the deck. When I use the FEL and rear blade, I drop the MMM to avoid dragging it over high spots and having in the way. It takes two minutes to remove or install the 62D. The 72" deck is better suited for a tractor dedicated to mowing, where taking it on and off isn't a requirement.

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs. #3  
The 2520 handles the 72" great. I can mow top speed in low gear with it, actually can go a bit faster in the high side on flat and slight hills, but have to drop down to low on moderate hills. It's a grass eating machine. The deck itself doesn't bog the mower that I've noticed. One thing you have going for you is the 72" has more under deck clearance than the 62". And the farther the cut grass gets the the outside, the deeper the deck gets to handle it. I had an 855 with a 60" deck on it before, and this 2520 with the 72" deck would mow circles around the 855. As you said, you will need the lockup kit for the deck, or you can get a couple turn buckles and make your own for a few dollars. The deck lift actually rides on top of the lift arms, you just chain the parts up that ride on there on the back and you can use your lift arms for anything independently. If you have a flat concrete or asphalt area, the deck will roll out from under real easily if needed with 3 wheels turned sideways and the one front one removed. As for your trees, the 72" deck would be better for trimming around them than the 62" since you have more overhang. But make sure you plant them far enough from stuff you can fit thru.

The MMM may drag on you some, and with it all the way up, it won't have any flex from side to side, it will be almost tight to the machine. I wouldn't think it would hang much lower than the 62" though. Most of your extra under deck clearance is out the right side of the frame so it's actually higher than the rest. (ALmost makes the deck look unlevel if you go by the top). But with the extra 5" of overhang on each side, watch out in the ditches, cause it will hang you up especially if you don't raise up your gauge wheels and you will high center enough and be stuck. Another thing, you need to level your rear implement, and then the deck, if you move the adjuster on the lift arms, it will change your deck level since it's tied to it. The Deck can be leveled under the rear of the tractor really easily after you have your lift arms level.

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs.
Great info. I do have concrete to remove the deck on, so thats an easy answer. I'm sure that deck is 4-500 lbs. I can buy the 72 inch deck with the mechanical lift for the same price as the 62 with the independent lift. I know if I use the 62 with independant lift, then I can't use the loader with it on unless I swap hoses. I might just as well just use the mechanical lift and chain the deck up all the way when not in use. I will remove it before I go into real rough areas, so I don't damage the deck or get hung up on stuff.

Is there any other real negatives to the mechanical lift?

I'm glad the 2520 can handle the 72 inch deck as far as power goes. I figured it would be just fine, but its hard to know.

Do you guys run Turfs or R4's for mowing? I have R4's, and considered throwing a set of turfs on the front just for mowing season, so the turning doesn't dig in too much.

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs. #5  
I love the 72" on my 2520. I finish mow wet, dry and anywhere in between. I mow short and long and no problems. The hold up kit is a couple of turnbuckles and you can adjust it to hold at any height from the max lift on down. It doesn't effect what you can put on the three point at all. I actually use the hold up kit to set mower height, so in my case it is at that height or higher depending what I do with the 3pt. There is nothing I could complain about it in function.

The only drawback is installation is a little more work than the 62's and a lot more work than the driveover's; however, that is only relevant if you take it on and off often. Once my tilling is done, the mower deck won't com off again until winter. It is really now more than the 62's if you have had a 62C or such in the past that slide in and out the side. Don't follow the instructions about removing the wheel. Just unhook, lift tractor front off ground with loader and push out the side.

It doen't offer you too much ground clearance, so it will drage in the dirt or snow if the snow is deep or you are trying to till, but I don't think it drags anymore than the 62's I have had in the past; so that doesn't bother me.

Dan

Thanks! :)
I wasn't sure if the mower could stay on for tilling or not, glad you tried it already. I'll just know to remove it before tilling.

From what I'm hearing from you guys, theres little to no reason for me to consider the 62" deck. I'd love the wider 72, and Its basically almost the same price as the 62 with the independent lift kit. I'm so glad I asked here! :)

Are you guys mowing with R4's or Turfs?

Thanks again for all the priceless info!

Last edited:
bigtiller, I edited my post. If you edit yours with the quote, then its gone.

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs. #8  
I have the R-4's on mine. It doesn't seem to tear up the yard unless I would go out right now after we had 2"s of rain last night, then it would be the rears to cause the trouble. But I'd have trouble with ruts and mowing wet grass anyways. One thing with the 72" mower, your turns aren't near as short. You can almost turn back on the next pass without using a brake if you have a 2 pass headland mowed. I had turfs on my 855. As far as mowing, I don't see much difference. If you were to push snow, you'd be better off with turfs, R-4's won't bite in on snow. I had my tiller on with the deck installed for the first time Sunday and it didn't seems to drag in the dirt, maybe a bit with the gauge wheels, but I could have moved them up or took them off.

For my deck lockup I took two pieces of flat metal and drilled a hole in the both ends. Bolted the top up with a half inch bolt with a lock nut. I left it just loose enough to push it forwads when not in use. I use two pins on the bottom end and just pin it up that way. I made the bottom hole a bit larger than my pin so it will have a little play in it. Deck drops maybe 1/2" -1" when locked up.

/ 72" MMM on 2520, need input on how it performs. #9  
I used the 72" on my 2520 for two seasons and it will now go on the 2720. I think it cuts better than my old 62d did. I mow in high and the 2520 would bark every now and then but that was rare but a diesel has to work. If I take mine off it is fairly easy on concrete and a large jack under the front axle. This way I remove no wheels and lower when clear and go.

A 62d weighs about 275 lbs and the 72" weighs over 400 lbs.

Be careful of the discharge chute. The 62 is plastic and forgiving but the 72 is steel and can do some damage if not careful.

anyone have pictures of the 72 on their 2520? I'd like to see how far it sticks out each side....