Older 72" stamped steel mower

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
I am in the process of rebuilding an older 272 rear finish mower that has a fixed discharge chute integral to the deck stamping. I'm pretty sure some of the older 72" MMM decks were constructed this way also. To me it looks like the design would be prone to windrowing the clippings. The 50" deck on my 322 can be flipped up or removed leaving a wide open discharge that blows the clippings out and spreads them evenly. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with the older design fixed discharge chute design that can chime in on it's performance and whether or not it tend to leave windrows of clippings.

I have the deck stripped right now and I'm considering chopping off the end of the discharge chute to give it a more wide-open throat. If I do that, I'd like to do it before I paint the deck.

272-1.jpg 272-2.jpg

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #2  
I know what I'd do, but the safety police on here would come after me. If it were mine, I'd cut it off. Regardless, if I didn't cut it off it would already be bent to no recognition from me hitting something with it. I removed the chute off mine, which is removable. Since it's metal, I know I would bend it all up.

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #3  
Our Kubotas have a similar design, but it is a flip up piece and yes, it will windrow.

Aaron Z

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #4  
why dont you notch it out install a spring and hinge system with a spacer to add some height to it that way its safe and you still get a wide open throat when needed.

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower
If I cut it off, I would save that piece so I could make it re-attachable if I wanted to put it on for any reason. The hinged idea is easier said than done since this portion of the deck is all compound curves and funky angles. When I got my 322 with the 50" deck, I never put the hinged discharge chute on... it's still over in the corner of the barn collecting dust. After this many years of never having or needing it installed, I doubt I will ever put it on. On a similar note, I doubt I will ever miss that piece if I chop it off the 272 deck.

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #6  
Try it, then decide.

Bruce

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #7  
I'm guessing you never used it prior to the restoration.

Do you really think the chute is the cause(if any) of the windrowing?

If you cut it off, you could just put a chute from 62d or something similar. The plastic would be a little more forgiving in the event you hit an immovable object.

Last edited:
   / Older 72" stamped steel mower
I'm guessing you never used it prior to the restoration.

Do you really think the chute is the cause(if any) of the windrowing?

If you cut it off, you could just put a chute from 62d or something similar. The plastic would be a little more forgiving in the event you hit an immovable object.

Correct, never used it.

I don't know if it will windrow... that was my original question to those that have used one of these decks...

If I cut it off, it will probably get nothing put back on. I want the clipping to blow far and wide and disperse evenly.

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #9  
I would probably leave alone than. Cutting it off and touching up the paint is not a lot of work compared to the restoration. Jmo.

/ Older 72" stamped steel mower #10  
I've never had a chute that didn't windrow in tall or damp grass. If you mow often and dry you wouldn't have much trouble.