Mowing pto operation

/ pto operation #1  

guz46

Tractor
john deere 401c
Purchased this jd 401c, with grass and brush growed up around it. Got it running, has serval diiferant issues with it. Am concerned with Pto operation. only will engage with engine not running, depressing clutch peddle with engine running, will not allow pto to engage. It will only grind. turn engine off, slide lever to engange, start engine, pto engages and functions untill you turn engine off or move lever to disengage. Clutch peddle and has no effect.

/ pto operation #2  
It sounds like you have two clutches, a main traction clutch and second PTO clutch. I think your clutch pedal is not adjusted correctly. Or the PTO clutch is seized and not releasing.

/ pto operation
Thanks for the insight, am in the learning proccess and am greatful. This is a step up from my 8n and 801 fords. never had a 2 stage clutch, only heard about them. Bought a manuel on the internet from "jensales.com". I'm in Dallas and my place about 100 miles east, so its time to read and think some more untill this week end. Thank you. I'll let you know

/ pto operation #4  
I think Zebra5 hit the nail on the head. Remove the pop off inspection plate on LH side of clutch housing and apply liberal amt of brake cleaner on clutch assembly.

/ pto operation
Thanks again. I need all the help I can get

/ pto operation #6  
I think Zebra5 hit the nail on the head. Remove the pop off inspection plate on LH side of clutch housing and apply liberal amt of brake cleaner on clutch assembly.

If the clutch still does not release after the brake cleaner, hook up a brush cutter, get it up to speed and then push in the clutch pedal. The inertia of the spinning brush cutter MAY free the PTO clutch. Good Luck

/ pto operation #7  
If the clutch still does not release after the brake cleaner, hook up a brush cutter, get it up to speed and then push in the clutch pedal. The inertia of the spinning brush cutter MAY free the PTO clutch. Good Luck

Great idea!!