Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: 4300 no start issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BRBurns View Post
    My 4300 would not start yesterday either. It had done that before, but if I let it set a few minutes it would always start. This time it didn't. I didn't know about grounding the white wire. But I did know that it could be the solenoid not getting enough power. So I hooked up jumper cables to my truck, running, knowing that this would get the entire tractor 2 more volts. It popped right off and has started dozens of times since. I need to get a spare thermister.
    My suggestion would be to start cleaning ALL of the electrical connections that you possibly can, especially the ones that handle the high starting current. Also, check the battery voltage and starting ampacity to make sure it's up to snuff. You would be surprised how much voltage all those low resistance connection points will drop, from the battery (source) to the load, and at the same time they tend to limit the current flow.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Try the fuel shut off relay in the fuse panel. When you first turn the key you should hear a click before starting the machine. If you don't hear it it is your relay

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post

My suggestion would be to start cleaning ALL of the electrical connections that you possibly can, especially the ones that handle the high starting current. Also, check the battery voltage and starting ampacity to make sure it's up to snuff. You would be surprised how much voltage all those low resistance connection points will drop, from the battery (source) to the load, and at the same time they tend to limit the current flow.
    I replaced the thermister and all is better now.

Tractor
    JD 4600

Default Re: 4300 no start issue.

I had the same problem with the JD4600. The tractor would not start after being used for a couple of hours. I practically disassembled the tractor several times trying to locate the problem. The shut off solenoid was filling up with oil and not allowing the plunger to pull out. I would take the plunger and pump it a few times and the oil would squirt out, allowing it to function properly. I think a new solenoid was about $100. But, my thought was, if this went bad the next one will do the same. When the tractor wouldn't start, I would take the solenoid off and pump the oil out of it. Re install and it was good for 2-4 hours. Finally, one day I got tired of doing this, took the solenoid off, cut a little plate with a hole in it for a pto cable to go in, push the spot the solenoid is pushing and turn off the tractor.

This was done about 200 hours ago. Words of caution, the tractor will run with the key off and safety switches do not work. To turn off the tractor, I push in the red pto button.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12