3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions.

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions. #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Hey guys,
Well I've hit 50 hours now and its time to completely change all the fluids.

I was wondering how close the fluid numbers are in the book to what they really hold. I know my 2520 used more than the book said.

E-Hydro 6.8Gal
Front Axle 1.3Gal
Engine 5.1QT
These numbers sound about right?

Also am i missing anything? Engine E-Hydro Front Axle.

Also there is an inline filter for the hydro system the book shows should i take it off and clean it? and if so what should i clean it with?

I have one more question I'm going to use Rotela Shell oil. Should i use Synthetic or Regular oil on a 50 hour engine?

Thanks!

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions. #2  
Hey guys,

I was wondering how close the fluid numbers are in the book to what they really hold. I know my 2520 used more than the book said.

E-Hydro 6.8Gal
Front Axle 1.3Gal
Engine 5.1QT
These numbers sound about right?

Also am i missing anything? Engine E-Hydro Front Axle.

Also there is an inline filter for the hydro system the book shows should i take it off and clean it? and if so what should i clean it with?

I have one more question I'm going to use Rotela Shell oil. Should i use Synthetic or Regular oil on a 50 hour engine?

Thanks!
I would seriously wait till you hit 100 hours dude. I wouldnt even touch the front axle lubricant. The trans isn't supposed to be changed until 400 hours. I changed mine at 100 and probably shouldn't have. I should've just went by the service recommended in the manual. There was nothing in any of the filters either. If you go throu the display, there is a readout on actual hours of the machine in motion. The hours your reading is the machine at idle and in motion. The one indicating in motion are gonna read a lot less hours than you think. Do what you want but just giving you some food for thought.

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions. #3  
Just went out to look at the display again. Cycle through the display and you will see a display with machine hours in motion and if you hit display one more time, you will see hours with pto engaged. The display when you first turn machine on is total hours including idle not doing anything

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions.
That's good info. 2520 everyone said change at 50 hours and there was a ton of shavings in the screen. Does everyone else think this is way too soon? If so maybe ill change the oil and leave the hydro and front axle for much later.

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions. #5  
That's good info. 2520 everyone said change at 50 hours and there was a ton of shavings in the screen. Does everyone else think this is way too soon? If so maybe ill change the oil and leave the hydro and front axle for much later.

What does your manual say? Follow it.

Just to prove i'm not nuts haha here is the thread from my 2520 fluid change. People where saying 50 hours complete change.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/130775-50-hour-oil-change-2520-a.html

Now my question is the HST says every 200 hours change the EHydro is 400 hours so i'm going to guess they are very different in spec as far as filtering and fluid refreshes guessing the 7 gal's vs 4.5 gals has something to do with it to. and I do understand mechanically they are very different trans.
I have the fluids but they where very expensive and that hydro filter was 100 bucks alone so if i'm totally off my rocker here i'll return the fluids tomorrow.
I guess what i'll do unless someone thinks different is split the difference kind of, Mike you said 100 it wasnt worth it. I think 400 for break in fluid is too much so i guess i'll do 200 hours.

This tractor took me years to save for and at 30 with two very young kids this was a huge investment trying to take extra good care of it.
Thanks!

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions. #7  
You should have close 150 hours before the end of the season right? Well I would just keep the fluids and do the service at the end of the season and you should be good to go. That way you can keep your mind at ease. Only thing is, like me, will have to change the fluid again at 500 hours.

I'm guessing close to 150 hours so I think I'll just do what your saying and change it this fall before the snow fly's again this will give it more break in time before unloading all those fluids.

Thanks again for all the info Mike i truly appreciate it.

/ 3320 50 hour complete fluid change. Bunch of questions. #9  
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I would use a can of brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner to clean the filter. As for using synthetic oil, I would wait until you hit the 100 - 150 hour range on the engine. Your engine needs to break in completely before you switch to synthetic motor oil. Everywhere else would be fine to install synthetics right now.

Figured I would use my old thread vs new one.
Changed the e hydro fluid today. I hit 150 hours.

The fluid didn't look top bad the final couple gallons looked a little more murky than the first few gallons. The filter did have metal shavings in it a couple longer curly ones too. But nothing compared to the 2520 when I changed that.

Over all went good. The book said 6.8 gal but even at 7 gals I was in the middle top X on the dip stick.

Engine called for 5.1 qt but 5 ended up being about perfect. Also switched to full synthetic shell heavy duty diesel engine oil.

Something I didn't expect was how loose the front axle thrust bolt was. Mine was turned out a ways and was very loose I turned it in a few times with my fingers before I even needed a wrench. So if you haven't I would check that bolt.

After fluids and grease it got a wash than fully cleaned the interior out its as clean as the day I first saw it at the dealer.

Unfortunately the tractor doesn't fit in my garage and the shed wont get get cement until next summer after I finish the interrior walls so I had to get inventive and a tarp worked well ha ha

ForumRunner_20140628_175129.png