Backhoe Jd 110 tlb Front axle lock up

/ Jd 110 tlb Front axle lock up #1  

reider

Tractor
John Deere 110TLB
Hey folks, I encountered a major problem tonight with my 110 tlb. I was driving on the road at 2400 rpm in c range when I heard a clunk and the front axle locked up. It would move again after a few minutes, but only for a short distance. It seemed to move a lot better in 4wd after it happened as well. I used the hydraulics to lift all wheels off the ground, and everything free wheeled ok, both in two wheel and four wheel...
I just spent a pile having the 4wd fixed after the gear on the driven shaft fell off in the transfer case. They had to split the tractor to fix it. All work was done at the local jd dealer. Only 40 hours since then, most of it idling time.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

/ Jd 110 tlb Front axle lock up #2  
If you were roading the tractor in 4x4 that probably caused some damage, I don't see much choice but to take it back to the dealer and see what the real problems are.

/ Jd 110 tlb Front axle lock up
It was in two wheel drive when it happened... I had to get it off the road so I tried four wheel.

/ Jd 110 tlb Front axle lock up #4  
Ouch... When you had all 4 wheels off the ground, did you put power to the differentials? In 2wd and 4wd? I lost a front ring gear one time - chipped a couple of teeth partially off. You could move a bit and jockey back and forth past the bad teeth but it wasn't anything that you really want to do... especially if you need to cover any distance! ;)

Hopefully, your dealer will stand behind his shop's work; if it looks like something they worked on - let loose.

Good luck and keep us posted with the diagnosis and repair.

AKfish

Ouch... When you had all 4 wheels off the ground, did you put power to the differentials? In 2wd and 4wd? I lost a front ring gear one time - chipped a couple of teeth partially off. You could move a bit and jockey back and forth past the bad teeth but it wasn't anything that you really want to do... especially if you need to cover any distance! ;)

Hopefully, your dealer will stand behind his shop's work; if it looks like something they worked on - let loose.

Good luck and keep us posted with the diagnosis and repair.

AKfish

Yes I had all wheels spinning in 4wd under power while it was lifted. Couldn't hear/feel the grind when there was no weight on the driveline.

Thanks

/ Jd 110 tlb Front axle lock up #6  
Any updates?

I pulled the wheels off and drained the oil in the front axle. It was dirty, but I've seen worse. Nothing major in the way of filings, so I re filled the axle and put the wheels back on. I don't have a shop right now, so it is difficult to do more...
I put two hours on the machine tonight in low and mid range with no problems. Hate to leave it unsettled, but without it permanently locked up its going to hard to find.