JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #1  

Chef Pa

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3010 4300
Looking at JD 855 or 955 for a utility tractor, and cutting grass. Grass cutting will be 3 acres, plus pinch hitting on an additional 3-5 at my Dad's place. Currently using a 50" zero turn that's beating me up pretty good. The zero turn is a little undersized, but I've looked at some larger models and haven't been that impressed with improvements in ride, like suspension type on the Ferris, etc. Not to mention I will also going to be doing some gardening & composting. Nothing large scale at first (under 2 acres), and I have a JD 3010 for times I don't want to use a rotary tiller behind the x55. Anyway, appreciate any comments on ride & handling of the 855/955 for mowing. Don't expect it to ride like a caddy, but thinking it would be much easier on the rump & back than any ZTR. Just a fyi, plan to keep the 50" zero turn for trim & tight spots.

Thanks
Greg

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #2  
It's hard to beat the ride of a 36 inch tire with 10 pounds of air. A ZTR can't come close to that.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #3  
They aren't bad, but the seat suspension isn't much, but it does have more to it than my 2520 does. Handling wise, they are great.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #4  
It's hard to beat the ride of a 36 inch tire with 10 pounds of air. A ZTR can't come close to that.

I recall when I had the turfs on my 855, the ride wasn't too bad. I can't mow very fast due to terrain so I cannot venture an opinion on how it would work when compared to a ztr.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #5  
I personally prefer any tractor over a ZTR. Even if a bit slower, I can relax a little and steer with one hand at times. ZTR takes constant attention and two hands.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn
Thanks all, kind of what I'm thinking also. No doubt the ztr is fast, but with a 72" deck it should make up in open areas, at least somewhat.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #7  
I have no idea what's is like to mow with a 955... but I'm getting closer to finding out. Got a lot done to my 272 this weekend. Pressed all the bearings out the spindles, painted the housings and reassembled with new bearings. Stripped the gearbox, replaced the bearings/races, reassembled with new seals and repair sleeves on the shafts, and painted the gearbox. Put the finish coat of paint on the deck, painted the rear caster yokes and the rear caster wheels.

I chose to go with the rear finish mower instead of the belly deck since I do so many other things with the tractor where the deck would be in the way. I didn't want to have to pull the deck out from under the tractor all the time and then put it back under when it's time to mow. It's a whole lot quicker/easier to drop/reattach a 3pt implement.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #8  
i have 4 acres and mow with my 755 and it seems fine alot smoother than my Craftsman there are a few areas where she bounces but the 20 year old worn out seat suspension takes up some of the abuse.

All in all its pretty good.

/ JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn #9  
I had a Deere Z997 diesel Zero Turn 72 inch for a while which wasn't bad as far as ride, and it was very fast. I never liked it because my property had too many hills and it could get away from you (as in a 2000 lb sled). Also it would tear up turf if you didn't do 3 point turns and when trimming. I also prefer being seated up higher and away from the cutting outlet especially in wind because of deer ticks, etc.

I mostly cut with a 755/60mmm. It works fine. I've always believed the x55 series was the best all around CUT series Deere has made.

Last edited:
   / JD 855 / 955 Mowing Comfort vs Zero Turn
Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking for a good 955 and it was getting to be a lot of work. Most are several miles away, and tractors in good condition go pretty quick if priced decent. Just picked up a '99 4300 in good condition with low hours. Power/weight are similar to the 955 so it should do pretty well.

Thanks again.