JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #11  
That procedure does not work on the newer E-series machines unfortunately. REO was a band, RIO (Reverse Implement Option/Operation) is what keeps you from backing up with the MMM powered :)

Before REO was a band; there was the REO (Ransome E. Olds of Oldsmobile fame) Speedwagon, REO and Diamond Reo trucks. :)

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #12  
I'm going to kill two birds with one stone with this switch. I have been wanting a hidden disable switch for increased security. So by using a three-position ON-OFF-ON switch, I can make an override for the PTO to work without an operator in the seat and another position to disable driving the tractor.

1. Run PTO without seat operator (safety feature override)
2. Disable engine if in gear (tractor always senses no operator in seat)
3. Normal safety operation (seat switch operates per factory design)

seat_switch_override.jpg

Last edited:
   / JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #14  
I put a PTO bypass switch on my 4200 for when I use the sprayer's handheld wand and need the PTO to be running while I'm off the seat.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/HydraulicsUpgrades#5382690929653332466

Your 4200 does have off seat PTO capability...it's in your manual.

Frankly, I do have a problem with these tractors being built without offseat PTO capability. Tractors are designed to be stationary power units for some tasks (chipping, generators are two examples). I cannot understand why Deere did this...

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #15  
Roy: I put the bypass switch in as the off-seat PTO procedure listed in the manual is a PITA in my opinion.

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat
I'm going to kill two birds with one stone with this switch. I have been wanting a hidden disable switch for increased security. So by using a three-position ON-OFF-ON switch, I can make an override for the PTO to work without an operator in the seat and another position to disable driving the tractor.

1. Run PTO without seat operator (safety feature override)
2. Disable engine if in gear (tractor always senses no operator in seat)
3. Normal safety operation (seat switch operates per factory design)

I'd like to have this ability, but I'm not an electrician. Who would you recomend? Do you think my Deere dealer would do it -- maybe have a kit? If not, who else?

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #17  
Louie, I can feel your pain. I don't weld or have any hydraulic experience, so this forum makes my head spin at times.

I doubt there's a kit. A dealer might not do it for liability reasons. It's a pretty easy first electrical project.

Get a switch that looks like this: Digi-Key DPDT switch

It should have three positions on the handle, six 1/4" quick-disconnect tabs out the back. Neither ON position should me momentary. So the labeling should be ON-OFF-ON. None of the positions should have parens, which specifies a momentary position. So this labeling it wrong: (ON)-OFF-ON.

Get this crimper/stripper wire cutter tool: tool (any hardware store)

Get 1/4" tab quick-disconnect terminals: terminals (any hardware store)

Harbor Freight has the tool and terminals together for $10: 305 Piece Solderless Terminal Kit

Use 16 or 18 gauge red and black wire (most hardware stores). Drill a hole to mount the switch; I used a stepper bit like this: Steel Step Drill Set. I found an existing panel on the tractor otherwise, you might need to mount a bracket for the switch. If you can find a plastic panel, the drilling is super easy.

I put corrugated tubing like this over the wires: tubing

And electrical tape to hold the tubing together at the ends.

And I added a rubber boot over the switch handle for weather protection: weather boot

Good internet electronics dealers include: Digi-Key, Mouser, Jameco, Parts Express, and MCM.

Message me if you need more pointers. Good luck!

Last edited:
   / JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat
Thanks much scobrado!

Looks simple. Where am I likely to find the red and black connections on my tractor -- under the seat somewhere?

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #19  
Thanks much scobrado!

Looks simple. Where am I likely to find the red and black connections on my tractor -- under the seat somewhere?
Yes, likely right in the center of the seat. They maybe cover by the black ribbed loom.

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #20  
That's right. My seat switch wires come out from under the seat. You're just manipulating the seat switch closure:

1. Pass seat switch closure to tractor (factory operation)
2. Pass open to tractor (tractor sees no operator in seat)
3. Pass always closed switch to tractor (tractor sees operator even if no operator is in seat)

Last edited: