JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #1  

LouieJunior

Gold Member
Tractor
JD4052R Open Station
Evidently, my tractor PTO will not work a chipper type attachment. According to the operator's manual "Note: The Rear PTO is only operational with the operator on the seat." I have tried starting with the park brake on and the seat up -- no go!

Other than putting a sack of cement on the seat, are there any other work-arounds on this?

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #2  
You could wire in a switch to bypass the seat switch, or strap the seat down with a small ratchet strap. Its another little "feature" you give up with the economy series tractors.

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #3  
I hit the same snag with my JD 3038E when I used a chipper for the first time today. I put a tow chain on the seat ... not enough weight. Adding a three-ball trailer hitch made the switch contact.

I like the fact that if I'm not in the seat, the tractor won't run if it's in gear. I don't like the PTO not working if I'm not in the seat. I will add an override switch and only use it for the PTO use.

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #5  
Honestly, I'd go with the bag-o-cement option. The cut-off is what it is, a safety device that usually stops you from doing something you shouldn't.

Sometimes the switch warns me (starts to cut the engine) that I'm leaning over too much when checking how the tiller is running or that I'm standing too much (no seat belt on) when trying to determine the angle of my FEL 4in1.

Once you've eliminated a safety device, especially one that was incorporated/installed for a reason, you're just asking for trouble 'down the track'. :2cents:

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #6  
Agreed. A bypass switch is pretty easy forgotten in bypass mode. Kind of a slippery slope(no pun intended) when you start to bypass safety devices.

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #7  
Try this. Start the machine, set the parking break, get off the tractor then engage the PTO. That should work! I have a 4300 and a 3720 cab tractor and I run both PTO' s that way off the machine without by passing safety devices. I agree with some of the other post that by passing a safety set up can be a bad practice. The only one I will by pass is that REO safety which will not let you mow backing up. That is a lawyer law suit safety switch and is the only reason it is there.

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #8  
Try this. Start the machine, set the parking break, get off the tractor then engage the PTO. That should work! I have a 4300 and a 3720 cab tractor and I run both PTO' s that way off the machine without by passing safety devices. I agree with some of the other post that by passing a safety set up can be a bad practice. The only one I will by pass is that REO safety which will not let you mow backing up. That is a lawyer law suit safety switch and is the only reason it is there.

That procedure does not work on the newer E-series machines unfortunately. REO was a band, RIO (Reverse Implement Option/Operation) is what keeps you from backing up with the MMM powered :)

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #9  
Honestly, I'd go with the bag-o-cement option. The cut-off is what it is, a safety device that usually stops you from doing something you shouldn't.

Sometimes the switch warns me (starts to cut the engine) that I'm leaning over too much when checking how the tiller is running or that I'm standing too much (no seat belt on) when trying to determine the angle of my FEL 4in1.

Once you've eliminated a safety device, especially one that was incorporated/installed for a reason, you're just asking for trouble 'down the track'. :2cents:

I agree that the safety feature is a good and important thing. Thanks for your concern. However, I gotta run a switch when I'm using the PTO on the chipper. Dragging dirty, old chains or bags is just not worth the hassle. I'm safety conscience enough to diligently restore the safe setting when I'm done chipping. I never even re-park the tractor on flat ground without the seat belt on!

/ JD4105: Operating PTO Off Tractor Seat #10  
That procedure does not work on the newer E-series machines unfortunately. REO was a band, RIO (Reverse Implement Option/Operation) is what keeps you from backing up with the MMM powered :)

No my switch is REO. It plays music in reverse :)