3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #1  

Yamezz

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3720 cab, JD X495, JD L100, JD D105
How do the 3032E and 3038E tractors cope with moving and loading round bales? The specs look like it could be touch and go. Does anyone use their machines for handling round bales?

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #2  
Depends... if the bales are 4ft or 5ft diameter and crop type (alfalfa or grass or stover) as well as how many bales per year you plan on moving. Many of the dry, Timothy round bales here locally are 4ft and typically weigh 6-700lbs.

That's probably about 75%-80% of the load capacity of the 305 loader on the 3032-38E tractors. So, the loader will pick 'em up... but, will the tractor carry them - safely. Gotta have the tractor properly ballasted.

Of course, hauling and working with heavy loads near the upper limits of the tractor/loader is not something you really want to be doing with excessive regularity. 30-40 bales a year... yeah, Ok.

300-400 bales a year... probably not.

AKfish

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #3  
Lift capacity, 24-in. behind link arms, lb (kg) 1356 (615)
Lift Capacity (24-in. behind link arms), lb. (kg) 1356 (615)
Same rating from John Deere website for both the 3032e/3038e on the three point.
*305 LOADER-JOHN DEERE FRONT LOADER-WITH 1200 IBS LIFT CAPACITY
Per Quality Implements web site for the 305 loader.
If your looking at moving a large quantity of bales, I would consider looking at maybe a 5045e with a 553 loader. Just my :twocents:

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling
Thanks guys. I have all the specs, just hoping to hear from people with actual experience handling round bales. The most I'd be looking at each year would be 100 or so, but more than likely no more than 50. Within the confines of being able to lift a few round bales, the smaller the tractor the better for me.

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #5  
I have a 3038 and have rolled some big bales around my fields. I have not tried to lift them, most are older and probably exceed FEL capacity. Honestly, given the narrowness of the tractor, I don't think I'd try to lift something that near capacity unless I was on a completely flat surface - paved would be best. I have carried stumps and other heavy stuff in the FEL as low as possible and with plenty of weight on the back (filled tires and big BB), but still had a tire come off the ground on big bumps or minor slopes. No CUT has the stability of a full size tractor, and stability is as important as FEL capacity in lifting and moving stuff.

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #6  
I use a 2520 w/ 200CX and 800lbs of rear ballast to move 4x5 round bales on a regular basis with a hay spear on the front and to put them in hay rings. It will lift them to full height. So, to answer your question I am sure it will do it.

Now, to go on, with a the 2520, I would want to be on level ground. I as far as stability...well I never let me kids do it if that tells you something. If you are reversing, say, and turn while rolling to fast, you will definitely feel the front end wanting to pull the tractor sideways. So, it is doable, but you need to way risk vs. rewards.

The 2520 never complains at all about having the bales on a rear spear, although, the do block the vision if lifted to full height.

Dan

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #7  
Ok I do have experience in this as you requested. Here is what I can tell you. If I put a boxblade on the rear of my 3032 I can lift 4x5 round bales and move them around without trouble as long as I go slow. Trying to move 5x5 or 5x6 bales with the front end loader is not going to happen. You'll end up dragging them and breaking them opem. However if you are very careful and use some tie down straps around the roll bar you can move them with the 3 point. But again you'll have to be very careful. If you're trying to move more than a few bales, forget it go buy a 5083E.

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling
Thanks dstacy. 5x4 is the size I have. In a sample weighed this year, the heaviest was 420kg (925lbs). Are you able to lift them high enough to load onto the bed of a truck?

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #9  
Thanks dstacy. 5x4 is the size I have. In a sample weighed this year, the heaviest was 420kg (925lbs). Are you able to lift them high enough to load onto the bed of a truck?

I'm not sure I could get them high enough to get them on a truck. It would be close. It likely is within 50 - 75 pounds of "yes" or "no".

/ 3032E/3038E Round Bale Handling #10  
There are some other factors to consider. Personally I find this size tractor way too small and its not about lift..its about stability and tractor structure. When my JD 750 (equivalent size but with less lift) tries to haul a 800 lb log, it'll do it but it is quite squirly as I move it 50' to the splitter. This is with carrying the log at 1ft above ground. I would not trust this tractor at all if I had to regularly move this weight to an elevated platform. Front end components such as housings and axle members take a beating as well on such a small tractor.