2520 starting and stalling

/ 2520 starting and stalling #1  

turbotantrums

Tractor
2006 John Deere 2520 Compact
I have a 2006 2520 compact with about 640 hours. While mowing it shut down, and would not restart and stay running. I could start it, it would run for about a second, and quit. Tried again a little while later, started right up and I mowed for another hour or so. Tonight, went to start it, and it fires and immediately stalls. Tried to start about 40 times, stalls every time, won't stay running. Disabled seat switch just for testing purposes, still not starting. HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks.

/ 2520 starting and stalling #2  
Mine died on me spraying the yard the other day. I was moving along top speed on the low side and it was just like the key was turned off. I had to restart it and no problem since.

/ 2520 starting and stalling #3  
How long since fuel filter was changed? I also suggest to check fuel flow from tank. Have you checked operation of fuel control solenoid?

/ 2520 starting and stalling
How long since fuel filter was changed? I also suggest to check fuel flow from tank. Have you checked operation of fuel control solenoid?

It started this morning, changed the fuel filter anyways. Mowed for about 45 minutes tonight, and it died. Replaced the filter again, just for grins, still wont start. Just fires and dies.
Whats the best way to check flow and how do I check the fuel control solenoid?

/ 2520 starting and stalling #5  
If the 2520 works similar to a jd4100 you should hear a loud click when you turn the key switch to ignition. That is the fuel solenoid engaging with power from the fuel relay switch.

/ 2520 starting and stalling #6  
The fuel from the tank should be gravity fed, that is assuming I am not an idiot tonight, so if that is true, disconnect the line feeding into the fuel filter and see if it flows. If it doesn't then you either have garbage in the line or there is something in the tank. Being 7 years old, I would think there could be some gunk in the tank and in the lines. If you have too little flow, hoping not to start a firefight, but if the lines have grime in it from old fuel and diesel bugs, a good fuel treatment could help, but you might be replacing the lines and cleaning the tank.

As for past the fuel filter, testing the flow, well I know I am the idiot there, but I am sure if you follow the fuel line from the fuel filter to the engine, you can find a place where you could disconnect it and see if there is flow when the ignition is on or when you are trying to start it.

/ 2520 starting and stalling #7  
You may have a plugged fuel tank vent. When the tractor stalls loosen or remove the fuel cap and see if it starts and runs ok. If it does, replace the cap.

/ 2520 starting and stalling #8  
You may have a plugged fuel return line,disconnect it and see if fuel comes out. I had an orange tractor I had bought used with the same type water separator filter(parts key #9) that had a tiny white screen in it plugged with debris and it wouldn't run right until I removed the screen.

Attachments

• M7291__________UN01JAN94.gif
    M7291__________UN01JAN94.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 684
   / 2520 starting and stalling
Thanks for all your help.... I had to take it to the local dealer today, turns out it was the diode for the fuel solenoid. It was a 9 dollar item, but a couple hours labor. It DOES seem to be running properly now though.

/ 2520 starting and stalling #10  
Yea seems diodes are being used on certain circuits in the newer models. I believe the charging circuit has one also