Fuel level indicator problem

/ Fuel level indicator problem #1  

Ed Hahnenberg

Tractor
John Deere 5105
I have a 5105 John Deere tractor, made in 2004, which has a fuel level indicator which does not work. On the dash, everything else works. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which fuse might control that indicator. Fuse size and Function.jpg

The Dash looks like the picture below. It has fill on both sides of the tractor behind the seat.Dash-JD.jpg

/ Fuel level indicator problem #2  
According to the first pic, either f3, f10 or f13. Is there anyway to check for power at the back of the fuel guage?

/ Fuel level indicator problem
Rick...Thanks for your quick reply. I will take off dash and clean fuses f3, f10, and f13 if they are not blown. Not sure about how to check for power at the back of the fuel guage. Ed

/ Fuel level indicator problem #4  
Sorry Ed, that was f2, my thumbs hit the wrong key. Basically any fuse marked "Instrument Cluster".

Rick...Thanks for your quick reply. I will take off dash and clean fuses f3, f10, and f13 if they are not blown. Not sure about how to check for power at the back of the fuel guage. Ed

Rick...Got it, fuses f2, f10, and f13. It'll take me a while to remove the dash and check the fuses. Will report back with results, though. Ed

Rick...None of the fuses were blown and I cleaned the ones you suggested. When I turned on the key, the fuel indicator needle went all the way to full, then went back to empty. Still not working correctly. Ed

Rick...I think I'll just use a flexible, clean, plastic coated wire and dip it into the fuel openings on each side until it touches the bottom of the fuel tank. The tank holds 20+ gallons of diesel, and as long as the tractor is reasonably level, I should have a fairly good idea when to add more. I just did that, and it looks like I have half a tank. As a friend of mine who owns three John Deere tractors told me, "None of the fuel level indicators work very long." It says something about John Deere fuel gauges...and my used tractor is only a 2004.

/ Fuel level indicator problem #8  
Your instrument cluster looks about the same as on my 5210.

Most likely the problem is the fuel sender in the tank. Disconnect the 2 wires from the sender at the tank and connect them together, then turn the key to the run position (do not start the tractor) the fuel gauge on the cluster should go to full. If it does not then test the wiring from the sender to the instrument cluster.

Looking at JDparts it looks like the wire for the sender is under the tank, part number RE72864. Here is a link that has a picture of it.

http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=jd&msg=17873

While you have the wires disconnected test the fuel sender with an ohm meter. On my 5210 the range is between 4.5 97.5 ohms. I have include the URL for JDparts if you do not have it.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

JD5210...I will have my mechanic look at your suggestion on Monday. I have also noticed that the PTO light comes on now that it is warmer, even though I don't have the PTO engaged. That's H on the Dash. Sometimes it quits as I drive, sometimes it does not light up if I stop the tractor and turn the key off. It is erratic to say the least. Dash-JD.jpg

/ Fuel level indicator problem #10  
If my memory is correct, I had this issue on my 5105 and a neighbors 5205. Seems like I dropped the fuel sending unit after draining the tank and replaced it. All was well.