John Deere 2120 Shifting Question

/ John Deere 2120 Shifting Question #1  

bigblock76

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2120, John Deere 3140, John Deere 2950, John Deere 7700 Combine, John Deere STX38
Hello Everyone!

I just picked up my first 2120, a oldie but a goody for sure. Anyways, have a question on shifting gears. I understand it doesn't have a syncro so that you have to come to a full stop to change gears. What I am seeing is if I'm going forward and I want to go backwards (picking up soil, moving it around). I come to a complete stop, I push the clutch down all the way, I shift the hi-low- reverse shifter from low, to reverse leaving the gear selector in the same position, and its a 50/50 chance that the gear chatters and I feel it in the stick. If it happens I end up waiting a few more seconds and then I can shift it into reverse. It feels like something is spinning inside the transmission and I'm waiting for it to stop before I shift?

Going from reverse to forward low or high sometimes gives me the same issue 50% of the time. I'm not sure what the trick is here, but I definitely don't want to be chattering the gears and I figure I must be doing something wrong?

Any suggestions?

Mark

/ John Deere 2120 Shifting Question #2  
It sounds like your clutch may not be fully clearing the flywheel at full pedal travel. If it is still touching, the input shaft for your transmission will turn as you pass thru neutral to reverse.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch pedal free play? Usually the adjustment consists of a threaded rod with adjustable yokes somewhere between the pedal and where the clutch shaft enters its housing. You should be able to find some good instructions by doing a search for "2120 clutch adjustment" or something like it.

/ John Deere 2120 Shifting Question
I backed it off a bit to give it a shot. It seemed to help, but why would it only do this when its hot? When I just start it up, its trouble free shifting for the first bit.

I find that if I take it out of gear, then move the hi-low-reverse to where I need it, that seems to help as well, but I shouldn't need to do that right?

Thanks for the help thus far!