Mowing Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard?

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello, so today I woke up and decided today was the day I put the new tractor through its paces by mowing my pasture, 8:00am I was in the pasture mowing along when suddenly I got a transmission error light come on. I put it in neutral and stopped the PTO and waited a few seconds and the warning light went away. I continued to mow when some chicken wire got caught in the mower blades, I went in to get it cleaned out and realized I had a leak on the inside of my rear tire (calcium chloride was shooting out.) I called my dealer and they got a truck out that determined it was a warranty thing (a defect when the tire was made.) while the tire was getting fixed I pulled the error codes: CCU PA 523316.04 Ptr PA 158.01 598.02 522456.31 524160.02 ICC PA 237.02 237.31 I have no idea what they mean (if anyone knows feel free to chime in.) Tire was fixed and I was back out in the pasture when the error light happened again, this time I found out that both times it happened I was in B4 shifting down to B3. After the error cleared I continue on when I looked back and saw 3' of grass wasn't cut, I looked down and the PTO shaft was broken, brought it back in again and now have to wait till tomorrow for a mechanic to come out and find out what is going on. Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? How many problems can a new tractor with 26 hours have?

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard?
Here's some pics of the PTO shaft

Attachments

• image-4234397225.jpg
    image-4234397225.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 780
  • image-779601217.jpg
    image-779601217.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 951
  • image-2036503587.jpg
    image-2036503587.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 717
   / Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #3  
It sounds like you should have just stayed in the bed this morning!

Although I have never had the exact problems you've had, I have definitely had days where nothing goes right.

Hopefully tomorrow goes your way!

It sounds like you should have just stayed in the bed this morning!

Although I have never had the exact problems you've had, I have definitely had days where nothing goes right.

Hopefully tomorrow goes your way!

Yeah, I was excited to finally get the pasture done (spent all evening yesterday going over everything making sure it was ready for today.) I hope it goes better tomorrow, I'm already late with the mowing (the thistles have already flowered.) so time is tight.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #5  
Should have barrowed the neighbors New Holland.... I couldn't resist. Hope you day goes better tomorrow!

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #6  
looks like the slip clutch did not slip.loosen it up and spin it then tighten it back down.

looks like the slip clutch did not slip.loosen it up and spin it then tighten it back down.

That's what I was thinking, cause whenever I would hit a mole hill the tractor would really drop rpm's and almost stall (I had to constantly adjust the mower height.)

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #8  
I have to ask one stupid question, if you don't mind.

Why do you have a 7' mower on such a big tractor?

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #9  
do you have chains or belt on front of the mower? if not wire will get wrapped around the blade and slung through the inside of the back tire.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #10  
Not to be a fun sucker or anything, but what are the odds some of that Chicken wired made it to the spindle, and bound things up?

Some days, it just dosn't pay to chew through the straps..

Good luck in the morning!!