1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive...

/ 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive... #1  

allwet

Tractor
1999 TN65 & 1962 JD3010 & ???? 8,9N
Hi Folks,

In the middle of planting (fruit trees) and my JD 3010 has decided to be persnickety... The PTO ran "alright" last week when I used it to run a water pump on low rpms. This week I was using a mulch spreader and it didn't want to turn. I know the spreader wasn't locked up because a) I could hand turn it a revolution & b) my TN65 was able to run it just fine. After fiddling with it a bit - the PTO stopped turning altogether. Very perplexing...

Question: Is there another lever or switch needed to engage the PTO on a 1962 JD 3010? The main PTO lever (left hand side of the console) is the only one I have ever used & wasn't aware of another...

If no other lever - am I staring at major work to troubleshoot?

Thanks for the advice. This issue is slowing down productivity and my workers (wife & kids) are anxious for dad to sort this puzzle out soon!

Just FYI -a couple of pictures of the tractor are below...

Cheers,
Allwet

/ 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive... #2  
Remove inspection cover underneath clutch housing and inspect the fingers on the pressure plate. There will be 6 fingers 3 for traction clutch & 3 for pto. For pto the brg pushes on the fingers to tighten pto clutch. Check to see if the ends of fingers are missing(worn off). Is pto stub shaft on the rear bolted on snugly?

/ 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive...
Thanks for the fast response. Its raining today - will have a peek.

/ 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive...
A bit of a delay - been very busy this spring... Ok so I am not sure exactly what or where the inspection housing is located & how to open it...
Bought a IT Manual - no help. Below is a shot of the nearest thing I can see to an inspection port... Its the circle to the left and above the PTO shaft... But I can't figure out how to open it at all... Pried with a screwdriver but chunks of rust came out & it looked liked I was just bending it... Any hints?

Pretty sure this is NOT the inspection port - under the clutch pedal on left side of tractor - appears to be a filter housing of some sort...

/ 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive... #5  
Rd object in 1st photo to left above pto is a bracket for carrying the pto shaft cover when not on pto. 2nd photo is cover for engine oil filter. Parts key #23 in part photo is clutch inspection cover. It's located at the bottom of clutch housing. 2nd parts photo shows PP fingers.

Attachments

• 0001266183____________A1.gif
    0001266183____________A1.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 677
  • RXA0050695_____UN12JAN01.gif
    RXA0050695_____UN12JAN01.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 437
   / 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive... #6  
TX Jim I'm having the same trouble .I've removed the inspection cover on our 3010 and found the 3 pto fingers to be worn off. Know what's my next step to replacing them?Can it be done through the inspection hole?

/ 1962 JD 3010 gas w/ loader - issue with the PTO drive... #7  
The best way to change the fingers is to split the tractor so the fingers can be adjusted correctly with a special gauge.