John Deere 1023e leaks!

/ John Deere 1023e leaks! #1  

tscary79

Tractor
John Deere 1023e
I purchased a 1023e on 4/08. I took delivery on 3 days later on the 11th because of a 都olenoid recall on the 3ph. On Saturday 4/13 I removed the FEL to cut grass. After I detached the FEL I get back on the Tractor and start the mmm. The dash goes haywire. The rmp meter goes to 0 and it says it is overheating. I only ran it for 5 minutes tops. .4 hrs on it at this point. I figured it to be an electrical problem after I could almost keep my hand on the engine and every time I turn the key to the on position it said overheated. I disconnect the battery and everything went back to normal. Everything seemed to be fine at this point to I cut my grass and parked it in my garage that night. Monday I enter my garage to find a nice pool of hydraulic fluid on my floor under the rear of the tractor. Emailed the dealer and they came to pick up on Tuesday. I call Thursday and they tell me that it was a torn o ring on the neutral star causing the leak. The dash went crazy because a clip had come off the back of the dash and had to be replaced. The tractor was returned to me on Friday 4/19. I notice a big paint chip on the brush guard and the yellow hydraulic cap for the FEL was cut. Said they would send someone to fix it.

I didn稚 touch the tractor again until 4/27 when I cut my grass again and used the FEL. Parked it that night and enter the garage on Monday 4/29 to see a small spot of coolant on the floor. The overflow was normal for a cold engine. I look under the tractor to see it is leaking coolant onto the axle from up above. I could not find the source. I take the radiator cap off to check the fluid level there and coolant bubbled out and ran everywhere. I hadn稚 started the engine in days so that seemed odd to me. The dealer picked the tractor up on Tuesday 4/30. Wednesday I was told they could not find a leak and they would run the tractor to see if they could replicate the problem but all tractors push coolant out when you remove the cap(that痴 ok by me, but mine was leaking from somewhere before I ever removed the cap). Monday 5/6 they contact me stating they could not find a problem and would fix the torn cap and paint the brush guard and have it back to me Wednesday. It is Friday 5/10 and they claim they will have it to me today. We値l see.

Sorry this is so lengthy but I wanted to get advice on how someone else would handle this situation. Does it sound like I am being screwed around? When you pay 14k you don稚 expect these kinds of problems. Oh, I just had to make my first payment yesterday and I feel like they have had the tractor more than me! The last two of the attached images are from the coolant leak I mentioned. They should give me a new tractor don't you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20130420_151637_770.jpg
    IMG_20130420_151637_770.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_20130428_110525_521.jpg
    IMG_20130428_110525_521.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_20130429_185347_265.jpg
    IMG_20130429_185347_265.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_20130429_191056_350.jpg
    IMG_20130429_191056_350.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 436
   / John Deere 1023e leaks! #2  
You should escalate with Deere customer service. When I had a recall on my 2210 the selling dealer wanted me to pay for delivery 2X. I said no way will I pay for pickup/delivery for a recall. Finally contacted corporate customer service and they covered one of the trips - better than nothing. In your case, your tractor clearly has several specific issues and it appears the dealer is either not addressing or making it worse. Good luck.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks! #3  
I think you are over reacting. The stuff you are talking about is minor and these types of things happen. Sounds like they are doing everything they can to make you happy. They won't be giving you a new tractor over this. Even another new tractor will have some bugs to work out. My tractor been back to the dealer 3 times already before 50 hours.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks!
I know I will not get another tractor... I just want to see if this was the norm with a scut. They have been on the spot picking it up and bringing it back except this last time. My real problem is with the machine, not the dealer.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks! #5  
I would not be happy either, 3 times in less than 50 hours is outrageous.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks!
I would not be happy either, 3 times in less than 50 hours is outrageous.

It has 7hrs on it now. 2 of which the dealer put on it in service.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks! #7  
I would go to the dealer and inspect the machine before bringing it back. Sounds like a bad prep job.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 1023e leaks! #8  
I would go to the dealer and inspect the machine before bringing it back. Sounds like a bad prep job.

I dont blame him for being upset about the coolant hose issue. I have owned all kinds of new and used equipment of different brands and have yet to have to tighten a coolant hose on a new piece of machinery except several on my 5055e and one hydraulic hose once on my New Holland and that was after a couple years. I know in my Deere 5055E manual it says to tighten all the coolant hoses and air intake hoses at 50 hours. I cannot believe you would need to tighten them so quickly from factory. I have never seen than in any of my other Deere equipment manuals or any other manufacture manual that quickly. I do not know if its cheap hoses,cheap clamps, or poor work from factory. I had to re-adjust my hood on mine since miss alighnment from factor, had a boot replaced on shifter, my gauges fog up, and I still have my coolant recovery tank going down a little after hose clamps where tightened. I must admit I love the tractor and think it will be great once I get the bugs worked out but this is not the up front quality I expected from Deere and not the quality we received on our older Deere equipment.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks! #9  
Heck if this would have been a car I could see someone running it low on coolant and not realize it until the light comes on. I mean lets face it you just received it. You should not have to check all of the lubricants that fast especially a hose is uncalled for. Deere needs to get a better hold on there quality control.

/ John Deere 1023e leaks! #10  
It's not uncommon for a new tractor to have some problems. There are hundreds of parts that must function properly. Just keep working with the dealer until everything is fixed under warranty. After all the bugs are worked out, it may be years before another problem occurs.