setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #1  

BigMike50

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse
Is there a recommended amount of play? I can literally set the stabilzers where they are so tight and there is no movement at all. I like that setup. Then I have implements were it can be set were there is a little bit of sway back and forth. (a little bit). Is it bad to have no sway at all and keep implent tight or should there be some play? The manual does not go into detail. What is proper?

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #2  
Myself I like to have a little sway in 3 pt arms. I personally see no reason for sway bars to be fiddle string tight.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #3  
Gotta have some play there. If you get things too snug; the pins at the bottom of the rear axle will begin to bend and deform. I like to run the 3pt up and down thru the complete range to ensure that there's enough slack and then if necessary give it another turn or two.

AKfish

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #4  
There are a couple, at least, of old threads on this with varying opinions, like Tx Jim, I prefer some slack, growing up on the farm with non adjustable stabilizer bars, we managed to bend them a few times a year.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #5  
I set mine to 1" per side,2" total.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #6  
To me it depends on what you're doing.

For example, on a box blade, bush hog or plow I will allow some side to side movement while with a hay spear, post driver or PHD I would want very little.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #7  
I think a little slop is a good idea. If you it something or what ever it's a good idea to have a little give.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #8  
It really depends on the impliment bieng used.

Sprayer tanks sitting up high and slopping around is annoying, so I'll take it down to almost no movement. Same thing with the Cannon sprayers.

Ground engaging stuff I like a little play in, so they can move without binding and bending/breaking things under a load.

The big issue is ease of mounting on our narrow tractors. Sometimes, it's a matter of having more slop than wanted, just to get things on and off, without resorting to side show freak level contortions.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #9  
As per above, some implements you want a little bit of play, others you want more and some you need none. I have a very good dealer and whenever I got an implement they explained exactly how I should set it up. Their advice mirrors the above posts by Dingeryote and DT86.

/ setting sway stabilizers on 3pt lift #10  
I tighten them up with my sprayer. It really jerks me around when turning or hillsiding when spraying. I also like them fairly tight with my 2 row planter. It keeps my rows out of the center of my tire tracks. With the tiller on there I leave some play, but not much.