3-Point Hitch JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right.

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #1  

ec121

Tractor
JD 650
My JD 650(1984 w/700hrs.) will lift the mower by itself while I am cutting. How do I set the draft control or get it to hold one postion? Under the seat I see a knob and on the side of the lift I see a small lever. I know the knob is for lift speed, but will it lock the lift also? What does the small lever do? Also the lift seems to be really sensitive when moving the lift control. Not much range on the lift lever.

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #2  
Loosen nut(parts key #12) and tighten nut(parts key #31) a LITTLE to put more pressure on the spring washers(parts key #32) then tighten nut(parts key #12) to lock the other nut.

Attachments

• RP1853_________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP1853_________UN01JAN94.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,765
   / JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Do you know what the lever under the left side of the seat does? It is on the side of the lift housing. Small handle about 2in long. Where can I download a manual for this tractor?

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #4  
TJim comes through again. The guy is worth his weight in gold. (hope you're not too heavy)

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #5  
Where is the lever in relation to the rate of drop screw?

Attachments

• RGP5144________UN24MAR99.gif
    RGP5144________UN24MAR99.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,330
   / JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right.
In this view the lever is on the left(looking forward) side of the housing(or just below it) in the lower left hand corner of the picture. I fooled with it, and it seems to let the lift go up and not down. Might be a lift cutoff.

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #7  
What's your tractors serial number?

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #8  
My JD 650(1984 w/700hrs.) will lift the mower by itself while I am cutting. How do I set the draft control or get it to hold one postion? Under the seat I see a knob and on the side of the lift I see a small lever. I know the knob is for lift speed, but will it lock the lift also? What does the small lever do? Also the lift seems to be really sensitive when moving the lift control. Not much range on the lift lever.

ec121, I suspect if the won't stay at the level you want it is because the linkage pivot points are rusted up and not moving freely. Take a real close look at items 2 though 5 in RxJim's post and items 18 through 51 which are the feed back linkage. If that little stuff is frozen up your 3ph won't stay up and will keep drifting down.
The little lever on the left side under the seat is "rate of fall" so you can adjust how fast something heavy on your 3ph will drop.
You might have to take that linkage apart to free it up and get it working properly. That was a common problem on those since it was exposed to the weather.
Hope that helps

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #9  
ec121, I suspect if the won't stay at the level you want it is because the linkage pivot points are rusted up and not moving freely.

The 3 pt control lever on any brand tractor that I've been around must have some resistance so 3 pt lever will stay where it's set and not move from vibration to insure that 3 pt stays where it's set. HTH's

/ JD 650 lift moving or draft control not right. #10  
The 3 pt control lever on any brand tractor that I've been around must have some resistance so 3 pt lever will stay where it's set and not move from vibration to insure that 3 pt stays where it's set. HTH's

Oh, yes, I agree 100%. I guess I didn't explain that too well but when the operator moves the operators lever to some set point and the rock shaft begins to move the little linkage that is attached to the rock shaft in turn allows the valve to open until it reaches the determined point of lift. If the rock shaft drifts down that linkage will again open the valve to correct for the drift.
Maybe I'm still not explaining that well but I've had the same problem on my old 650.