King Kutter II 48 vs King Kutter xbx 54 for 1026r

/ King Kutter II 48 vs King Kutter xbx 54 for 1026r #1  

just for fun

I have just purchased a 1026r and need advise from those that have or currently own one. This is my first post so I'm not sure what to expect but here is my question. I have been getting very mixed information from the King Kutter dealers and the KK manufacturer as well as the John Deere dealer that I purchased the tractor from. I have been told that my tractor will not handle the KK II 48 very well and it is not recommended yet the xbx 54 will work fine. There is only 80 lbs different between the two tillers and both are within the weight capacity of the tractor. The Deere dealer has told me that I can put a 655 on the tractor and it will work fine but the 647 is the only tiller that Deere recommends. The Deere tillers are substantially lighter than the KK tillers and seem to sit lower to the ground. My desire is to find a tiller in the 50" to 55" range but I don't want to buy one that will wear out in a couple of years and I am also limiting the purchase price to $1800. The tractor cost me enough. So if you all can help me filter out the the real capability of this tractor I would appreciate it.

/ King Kutter II 48 vs King Kutter xbx 54 for 1026r #2  
Hello and good luck with your new tractor. My friend just got the same tractor and I have to say I really like it. I truly think that your tractor will handle the 48 KK with ease. My friend who has the new 1026 has a Frontier 48 tiller that he had from his previous tractor and yes it is much lighter then the KK. I have the KK II in the 5 foot version. For the money this tiller is rock solid and built like a tank. The only negative thing I can say about King Kutter is the quality of the paint is fair to poor. Now this is not a problem for me due to the fact that I store it in my barn. If you plan on keeping it outside then you need to keep it covered or it will rust quickly. I tried to get touch up paint from KK but they do not sell it. But the color is equipment yellow and you can buy it at tractor supply and it is an exact match.

The frontier tiller that my friend has is a lighter duty tiller and I would use it on my JD X728 due to it being much lighter then the KK. I use my KKII 5 foot on my JD 4300 & 3720 and it is a great tiller. The only thing I noticed is that I read that the KK48 is off set to cover your wheel marks. If I was tilling with your size tractor I would want the tiller centered. Not sure about your foot print on your tractor and if a 4 foot tiller would cover both your tires. But I think it would. My 5 foot covers my 4300 & 3720 with both tractors using R4 tires. I do know that my friends Frontier 48 inch tiller is adjustable which is a nice feature.

/ King Kutter II 48 vs King Kutter xbx 54 for 1026r #3  
I've got a 5' king kutter also. It is a really well built tiller. Used a frontier, Land Pride, and a Bush hog before my purchase. Out of all I would say the King Kutter is built as heavy or heavier than any. After buying my 2520, I asked the dealer about a tiller. He said, I'd sell you one, but unless your gonna do a bunch of custom work with it, you'd be better off with one from a farm store. He told me they'd last forever doing my garden work and would save me 700-800 dollars. He said I'd try and sell you one otherwise.