3720 update being installed

/ 3720 update being installed #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
The dealer called me and said they'd like to come and do an update to my 3720. Its out of warrantee, so I suspect the update is a safety item. I asked what it was, he told me they'd be pulling off the rear wheel and installing a gasket in/under a valve (rockshaft something maybe?). I can report more next week. I can't wait to see the service guy's face when he sees the wheel weights he gets to handle.

/ 3720 update being installed #2  
Curious what year yours is. This is a known recall issue, but I emailed my dealer a couple months ago to ask if mine was included, but my serial number was not in the range for the recall.

/ 3720 update being installed
Oh, three or four years old. I am not sure where to look for that info, somewhere on a label on the tractor?

/ 3720 update being installed #4  
yeah that recall is for older models. Interesting they are doing it out of warranty. I would consider that a tsb and not a safety recall where they would have to fix it

/ 3720 update being installed #5  
I have what I would consider an older model 3720 cab tractor which I ordered/bought new in 2007. My dealership started doing this fix over a year ago and mine was NOT included in his recall list. They double checked my serial number with John Deere after I asked and told me my tractor is definitely not included in the recall. I talked to the service guy doing the update and he said none of the old gaskets he removed to date were actually defective (that was last Fall). If I remember correctly, the problem/symptom was the 3 PH would leak down, ie, not hold position.

Does anyone have a 3720 cab tractor that was recalled?? I was thinking maybe only older open station models were affected.

/ 3720 update being installed #6  
It wasn't for leaking seals at the arm/transaxle?

AKfish

/ 3720 update being installed #7  
It wasn't for leaking seals at the arm/transaxle?

AKfish
Maybe for leaks also but I haven't seen those threads on the forum.

There have been a number of threads on TBN about this topic. Here is an older/lengthy thread www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/248159-3520-recall.html

Some descriptions like this post from NURU "I had mine fixed in 2008, as the first time I put my flail mower on the tractor's 3PT, it started trying to dance and acting like it had the hiccups (shuddering and shaking pretty hard). I sent it to the dealer and they executed the warranty fix."

/ 3720 update being installed #8  
I had mine ('09 3720) done the beginning of the year. The dealer not only did the work, but picked it up and dropped it off all free of charge. The warranty expired in October of 2012. Must have been have been some kind of safety recall.

Scott

/ 3720 update being installed
It was the rockshaft valve cover gasket, on the left side of the tractor. No charge to me. They came to my farm and jacked it up on the cement in front of my shed. He had fun with the weights, but I helped him so it was tolerable. The gasket looked fine to he and I, and it probably was not leaking, although it was tough to tell for sure because everything is dirty after the top rockshaft cover had been loose ! and leaking a couple years ago. The new gasket looked the same as the old gasket, to me at a glance. He mentioned that he had to go back and do the paperwork that day yet, since the "program" ends Tuesday. Whatever that means. I never did find a year on my tractor.