Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #1  

BigMike50

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse
So I figured I would take up slack on the sloppy joystick tonight. I found that there is nothing to be done. Its almost like the cables or a 2 stage design internally as you can see in the video. There is about 1/2 inch movement below the joystick and very tight at the other end by the valve located above the trans. I poked around and checked the other cables for the pto selctor and the 3 point hitch lever. All exhibit the same condition. They are all the same design cables. Can anyone come up with any explanation other than some weird design inside the cables that allow this? Starting to make sense now. This cable must be in 3 sections internally. The outer ends are solid steel rods and in the middle, there must be some other material to allow for the bending and routing. So the solid metal rods that attach to whichever linkage must be attached in some sort of sloppy method to another type of material that allows for pushing and pulling internally. Might have to buy a cable and dissect it to figure this out.

Last edited:
   / Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #2  
I have a new Kubota that exhibits the same slop in the cables. I think it has to do with the difference in the diameter of the ID of the outer cable compared to the OD of the inner cable. Basically the outer cable is NOT a tight fit to the INNER cable. This would not be noticed if the cable were straight. However, when the cable is bent in a arc that slop has to taken up before movement at the ends of the cable happens.

It is a shame the manufactures do not recognize this and change the design of the joystick. Maybe a pilot operated joystick? Maybe better cables? Maybe changing the geometry of the joystick/cable action?

You could get rid of the slop at the connection of the cable to the valve spool. That should help you some.

I have the same problem on my tractor and I have thought about changing out the cables for good 'ol mechanical linkage. And I may do this sooner then later considering how poor the action is on my joystick and seems to getting worse.

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables
yeah, I would like to do that but it would take some time to fabricate that. I was looking for a way to lubricate those cables as well. Couldn't find a decent opening though

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #4  
yeah, I would like to do that but it would take some time to fabricate that. I was looking for a way to lubricate those cables as well. Couldn't find a decent opening though

There is some discussion here on TBN regarding the linkage's at the loader valves, etc. When I grease the loader pins, I typically crawl under the tractor and inspect, clean and lube the steel "slider" as well as the ball joint linkage on the loader valve.

I do the same maintenance whenever I change the oil and/or hyd filters, etc.

Mud, dirt and debris can collect on those cable ends and the ball joints and cause them to wear out prematurely. A little TLC can go a long ways to prevent that.

AKfish

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #5  
That is one of the key reasons why I still own open station. The Joystick and the Rockshaft controls just bother me on the cab tractors.

That is one of the key reasons why I still own open station. The Joystick and the Rockshaft controls just bother me on the cab tractors.

Yeah I'm used to straight linkage controls myself. Just looks like John deere went the cheapest and easiest route they could. Not something you would expect out of a 40 thousand dollar setup IMO

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #7  
Yeah I'm used to straight linkage controls myself. Just looks like John deere went the cheapest and easiest route they could. Not something you would expect out of a 40 thousand dollar setup IMO

I don't see it as cheaper but Deere designers probably felt that was the best way to isolate the cab linkage for lower noise and dust levels inside. Last weekend I tilled up a heck of a dust cloud for 30 hours straight in my 4520. Had to clean the filters but staying clean myself was a great improvement imo.

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #8  
I don't see it as cheaper but Deere designers probably felt that was the best way to isolate the cab linkage for lower noise and dust levels inside. Last weekend I tilled up a heck of a dust cloud for 30 hours straight in my 4520. Had to clean the filters but staying clean myself was a great improvement imo.

^2 here. I've sat in a few cab tractors and heavy equipment and realistically, have not found that the control surfaces for the Deere cab models to be significantly less effective than any of the other manufacturers. But... I don't really like red trucks, either! :)

AKfish

Ok sounds good thanks

/ Not crazy about 3x20 cab tractor joystick cables #10  

Too sloppy IMO. I thought I was the only one with this problem back when I had the 4320. Then, I sat in a few other cabbed tractors and found out this was the norm. Makes precision loader work a little more challenging.