John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control.

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #1  

just for fun

Hi all,

I purchased a new 1026r a couple of weeks ago and so far I am disappointed in its performance. I have owned several john Deere tractors in the past and have been completely satisfied with them. I have been a die hard JD person for years. When it was time for a new tractor the only decision that I struggled with was whether to buy the 2720 or the 1026r. I chose the 1026r due to its tighter turning radius. I strayed from the Deere family in 1998 and bought a Simplicity Legacy, which I still own. Now to my frustration. The first thing that happened with the 1026r was the jam nut on the mm pto adapter fell off while I was mowing causing the adapter to angle down and damage the rod that locks the mower in place. No more auto connect until fixed. While trying to fix the auto - connect I noticed a Hydraulic leak in the loader hose connection block. I then called the dealer and they came out and told me that there was a sheered o-ring from the factory. They have ordered new parts for the tractor and they cobbled up the auto-connect but you still have to manually push the rod up after the tractor is in place or the mower will fall off the mounts when lifting.

I understand that these types of things can happen but it is not normal for John Deere. So now I can mow again but I am unhappy with the quality of the cut. My 15 year old Simplicity mows better and that shouldn't be. Both tractors have 60" decks. When I am mowing tight to a tree or around some landscaping the JD does not mow evenly leaving a ridge in the grass. It does mow flat when driving straight or large diameters. It also mows very poorly when changing elevations, ie mow ditches or transitioning up a hill. Any thoughts will be strongly considered and passed on to the dealer.

Now for the loader. First I am not use to a loader that does not allow you to rotate the bucket while raising or lowering the boom, something I will have to get use to. I was moving some rocks around the yard yesterday and noticed that after raising the boom in preparation of dumping the load the bucket rotated very slowly, stopped and then continued at normal rate or even a little faster. This is quite annoying and difficult to control. Just so you know this in not my first loader tractor but it is my first sub compact tractor. Again any experiences with this condition will help.

One more gripe. I purchased 5 suit case weights that I was told would mount right up to the tractor. I need the ballast weight when using the rototiller. I was going up a hill with the tiller on the back and the front tires came off the ground. I have to have the loader on when using the tiller, for safety, and I don't like it. Again the dealer let me down, either the weights are the wrong ones or the front bracket is not intended for weight use and another bracket is required.

I am not ready to go orange but I am almost ready to go 2720 even though it is too big for my 2.5 acres.

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #2  
I'm going to skip to the end and let you talk with the dealer about the rest. I had a 2305 which is the old version of your 1026R. How big is your tiller? I had a 50 inch Land Pride on mine and didn't NEED any weights but if I really tried I could get the front wheels off the ground. I did use weights when I was working with it in town but that was just because they looked cool on the front after I painted the running deer and the boarder yellow.

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #3  
the loaders controls are the same on 3x20 tractors as well. It is annoying that the hydraulics do not allow you to raise and dump the bucket or lower and curl at the same time. you have to stop one to do the other. Just something to have to get used to that's all. other than that

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #4  
On the scalping/uneven cut, are your scalp/gauge wheels set properly? When we first got our BX2660 the wheels were set too high (ie: they were set for cutting at 1" and we were cutting at 3") so it would scalp down to 1" in places.
I would check that first, then (with the mower stationary on a hard FLAT surface) measure the height to the blades on the front and back of each side. Generally the front should be a little bit (1/4"?) lower than the back and they should be the same height from side to side with the wheels straight and when they are cranked over to turn.

Aaron Z

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control.
I'm going to skip to the end and let you talk with the dealer about the rest. I had a 2305 which is the old version of your 1026R. How big is your tiller? I had a 50 inch Land Pride on mine and didn't NEED any weights but if I really tried I could get the front wheels off the ground. I did use weights when I was working with it in town but that was just because they looked cool on the front after I painted the running deer and the boarder yellow.

I purchased a 48" king kutter. it is a bit heavy at 580lbs but well with in the tractors capacity. It really does a nice job.

Yes they are set correctly. Dealer was out and verified it.

the loaders controls are the same on 3x20 tractors as well. It is annoying that the hydraulics do not allow you to raise and dump the bucket or lower and curl at the same time. you have to stop one to do the other. Just something to have to get used to that's all. other than that

That stinks, I was thinking about trading up to the 2720. I have used other manufacturers loaders and never had this issue. John Deere needs to listen to this forum.

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #8  
I had a Legacy. It has a continous roller across the entire length of the back of the deck that is designed to ride on the ground when mowing. Nothing I've had mowes as smooth as the Legacy did.

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #9  
We added a 1023e to do lawn work and the cut is excellent. Its a mowing beast. Sorry to hear of your problems. Hopefully your dealer will get it straightened out. As for the curling while lifting on your loader, I have no problems with the 300cx on my 3320. I do it all the time. Have your dealer check that also. 1023e 001.jpg

/ John Deere 1026r poor mowing results and poor loader dump control. #10  
I purchased a 48" king kutter. it is a bit heavy at 580lbs but well with in the tractors capacity. It really does a nice job.

I think we just solved that problem. :drink: You have a tractor size tiller on a lawnmower. I bet it does do a nice job with that much weight and 6 tines per flange. Does it push you forward much?