First impressions mowing with a RFM

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
I just recently got through completely rebuilding a JD 272 that I'm sure many would written off as junk. This weekend I got my first chance to use it. For almost 4 years now, I've been mowing my 3 1/2 acres with a JD 322 & 50" MMM. Needless to say, to mow the entire place takes quite a chunk of time and usually got split up of several evenings, or one marathon stint on a Saturday. Taking a 72" swath vs. a 50" swath cut down on the time considerably. Also, having twice the horsepower allowed me to travel faster while still yeilding a nice cut. The suspension of the 955's seat is a far cry better than the 322. The considerably larger tires on the 955 also travel over bumps in the field much more comfortably than the little 322.

I'm still getting used to pulling the mower behind my instead of having it under the belly, but the more I use it the better my technique is getting. A huge plus is the clippings are discharging well behind me, so even when discharging into the wind I don't get covered in clippings blowing back on me. There is a drawback in manueverability, though. I can get up pretty tight to the fencelines, but when nearing and inside corner, I have to slowly vear away from the fence since turning too sharply would kick the mower out into the fence. In short, I've decided that I will continute to use the 322 to make an initial "trim pass" around the fence, trees, etc. with the 322 and then hog out the middle with the 955/272. Not ideal, but still a vast improvement and time saver. I was able to mow one section in 45 minutes, what used to take me 1:30 to 1:45 to mow with the 322.

So, you might be asking "why the RFM if you still need two mowers?". I use the 955 for so many other things... loader work, backhoe, boxblading, etc. and having to make a "trim pass" with the 322 is a trade off I'm willing to make to not have to jack with removing and installing a MMM on the 955 all the time. Removing/installing the RFM is infinately easier and quicker. I've only used it for one mowing so far, but I think I'm going to like it. I sure am enjoying the reduced time spent mowing (means I have more time for other projects) and my back and arse are enjoying the more comfortable ride.

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #2  
Just a suggestion. Mow with the 955 than the 322. That way you only mow what you missed and not what you anticipate missing. Might save even more time, I do this for painting also.

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM
That's basically what I did this time... I just gotta learn where to draw the line. I found myself jacking around trying to get the RFM into as many places as I could. I probably wasted some time instead of just leaving it to clean up with the little mower.

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #4  
I too struggled when I first started cutting with the RFM inside my fence. I found that if you drive straight into the corner as far as you can, then back up turning the front towards to the fence, you could quickly gain enough space to make the turn due to the front being narrower than the mower. I then back into the corner to complete the cut. A little practice and experimenting and you will quickly come to like being able to back into the corners and have little to no trimming to do.

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #5  
I too struggled when I first started cutting with the RFM inside my fence. I found that if you drive straight into the corner as far as you can, then back up turning the front towards to the fence, you could quickly gain enough space to make the turn due to the front being narrower than the mower.

Just don't have your loader on! I got myself in trouble mowing too close to my fence. I moseyed up to it, but then I was so close, I basically had no room at all to get off of it.

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #6  
I think you have it figured out, the best of both worlds, big RFM and little MMM. We used to do that to mow 7 acres. Clean up with the little one, and give it "heck" with the RFM. Works well.

James K0UA

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM
I also discovered that in order for the RFM to follow a somewhat rolling terrain with the "floating" top link, the top link has to be adjusted out pretty long. Then when I'd lift the mower to transport, the floating link would allow the rear of the deck to flop back such that it wouldn't even lift the rear casters off the ground. To transport, I'd have to shorten the top link to pull the rear up. All that cranking back and forth on the top link is for the birds. My solution to this issue was to drill a 3/4" hole through the "A frame" of the mast and through the floating link. I can leave the top link screwed way out, slide a 3/4" pin through the holes and lock the floating link in place. This allows me to lift the deck to transport the mower. Then when I get to where I'm mowing, I just set the deck down on the ground, pull the pin releasing the floating link and I'm quickly and easily ready to mow.

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #9  
Roundup along the fence and especially at the corners helps a lot regardless of which mower you use. I use it in the spring and a couple more times thru the summer. It gives a little extra room for both my neighbor and myself. I spray with a 20 gal sprayer I paid $100 for about 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ First impressions mowing with a RFM #10  
Any pics of the 272 or of the work you did to it.

I did the same thing to a 261 a few years ago. All new spindle bearings (modified to be greasable), new idlers, new belt, fresh paint, etc. Only thing I didnt touch was the gearbox and PTO.

It turned out quite sharp.