Don't get a cabbed tractor...

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
you'll want all your other mechanized equipment to have them as well!

I'm about a year in to 4520 ownership, and don't regret it one bit. The cab (and tractor as a whole) has worked out far better than I ever thought it would, and it is wonderful to be able to work this time of year and not come home smelling of diesel and covered in black fly, deer fly, and mosquito bites.

The more I use it, the more I have to hand it to Deere - they build one nice quiet cab!

I'll also saying that coming from a shuttle shift, eHydro is indeed far better for intricate loader work. Much smoother and more control.

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #2  
No cab experience but the only usage I would have for one is snow removal. Trying to look out the windows getting close to objects may be a hassle. Cold breeze never bothered me before so I continue on my ways. With the price of a Deere cab one could almost buy half of another tractor. They are not bashful on price. I would as soon buy another attachment ( or build one buying the required metal / parts .
Garden tractor, hydro is great. My 55 hp has a power shuttle which works great and I don't miss the whine / power loss of the hydro. What ever makes one happy I guess.

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #3  
I would love a cab for open field work, particularly with AC and radio. But, since I do most of my work in and around the forest, a cab would not last a week without major damage. I've even cracked my signal lights on unexpected limbs. I got a CUT to get in tight places, a cab would get in they way.

While I think a cab would be great in the snow, when I am plowing I really like to be able to see and hear the blade and don't know that I could do that within a cab. With a gravel road, it is important to be able to adjust the blades to not dig into your rock.

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #4  
About how much does a cab add to the price of a new deere or other brands?

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #5  
pjbci said:
About how much does a cab add to the price of a new deere or other brands?

Dependent on the size of tractor. Usually about $7500 +

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #6  
Hiya,

2 years into a cab tractor after 40+ in the weather, no matter how much they want for a cab it's worth it. Nothing beats clearing 1/3 mile driveway of snow in a tee shirt, pj pants and slippers when it's 15 below 0 with 30 mph gusts.

Tom

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #7  
Dependent on the size of tractor. Usually about $7500 +

Intersesting.... Im surprised it. I figured it wouldve have been much higher. For what its worth, in 2006 a cab added 13k to a deere dozer. 2012 it added 15k.

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #8  
Intersesting.... Im surprised it. I figured it wouldve have been much higher. For what its worth, in 2006 a cab added 13k to a deere dozer. 2012 it added 15k.

I was parked next to a 650 Deere this afternoon and looking at the cab it is more complex than on my 4520 tractor. So I am sure it would cost alot more.

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #9  
I was thinking just the opposite. All the controls, panels guages, etc are identical with the open station ROPS and cab. Even the framework is the same. Just window glass, radio and heat and a/c. I figured the tractors operators staion had to be reconfigured somewhat to fit a cab on a small tractor. I guess it just boils down to whos on the outside looking in! Ha. This summit, ms heat and humidity (you know how miserable it is here running a dozer) make me regret buying an open station ROPS dozer last summer. So my hired help runs the new machine and i run the old faithful deere with a/c.

/ Don't get a cabbed tractor... #10  
For many chores around the farm, I thank my lucky stars that I'm sitting in that cab! ;) But, there's definitely a number of chores that being in a cab is a real PITA! Up and Down; in and out... like putting in fence posts, etc.

That said; if I only had one tractor - it'd be one with a cab! :thumbsup:

AKfish