Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #11  
didnt want to put a burr under your saddle with that post. you orginal owner? takes less than a hour to pull hood off and the injector out maybe you can do that yourself, just a thought, Kept us post on your results

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #12  
it never hurts to ask, especially if you are polite about it. I lost the turbo on my truck at 6 years and 92k miles, so well outside the 3/36k coverage. I called the customer service line of the manufacturer and explained I have taken care of my truck and I have bought a number of vehicles from them and was there anything they could do to help? They offered to pay for half of the repair (almost $4k), or give me an extra $8k off a new vehicle on top of my current discount level and current rebates. Not saying it is going to work every time, but worse case is you wasted a few minutes of your life trying.

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem
On the Compact 4320? The dealer told me it was more complicated than on the older tractors and that it involved approx 6 hours of labor. I hope they are not pulling my leg.

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #14  
On the Compact 4320? The dealer told me it was more complicated than on the older tractors and that it involved approx 6 hours of labor. I hope they are not pulling my leg.

It is more complicated by a long shot. Each injector is also its own injector pump. I don't know if it would take 6 hrs to tear down, but I can believe that it will take that to change it out and re-time the injector pumps to the rack etc....

William....

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #15  
Hiya,

Hmmmm, betcha it's the injector or one of the electrical connectors to it that's your issue.

Modern injectors operate under higher pressures and have much smaller passages, any contamination of the fuel may result in clogging. The current generation are Multiple Event Digital Injectors where the ECM triggers multiple injection events during the combustion cycle starting with a "pre burn" event to "soften" the knock of a direct injection Diesel and then 4 or more injection events as the piston descends in the bore during the power stroke providing more uniform cylinder pressure and thus more torque output with much less wasted fuel and emissions. This is why Diesels sound so different nowdays, gone is the ear shattering knock at idle of the mid '90's in-line direct injected Cummins.

That being said, and I may be wrong on this as I haven't seen your tractor and I'm not 100% sure if Deere was using multiple event digital injectors on your model year, but the newer injectors "should be" pretty simple to change out as the "adjustment" is taken care of by the ECM and all the mechanic needs to do is swap the physical part and connect it up.

Tom

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem
William,

Deere told me the same thing. Each injector has its own pump and that they all have to be timed together which increases the labor. He didn't say anything about the computer automatically timing everything and implied it was somewhat of a lengthy and detailed process. It seems unusual to me that I am having this issue with less than 600 hrs on the tractor. I should know the specific problem by the end of next week.

Thanks for all your input and assistance.

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #17  
William,

Deere told me the same thing. Each injector has its own pump and that they all have to be timed together which increases the labor. He didn't say anything about the computer automatically timing everything and implied it was somewhat of a lengthy and detailed process. It seems unusual to me that I am having this issue with less than 600 hrs on the tractor. I should know the specific problem by the end of next week.

Thanks for all your input and assistance.

Yep your problem and the one other I have read about scare the crap out of me as I also have a 4320! Your engine dose not have an ECM, its injection is all mechanical. The pumps run off the cam and are controlled by a rack that interconnects them. On the bottom of the pump is a roller like you would find on a roller valve lifter. The other one I read about that roller was destroyed and it took out most of the engine! You may have noticed that when your tractor starts it sounds different for a few seconds, this is due to the cold start advance running the control rack and adjusting the timing. In 2009 the 4520 and 4720's went to an "E" version of the engine and have some electronic control of the system, I'm not totally sure how much was changed out tough as they still appear to have the mechanical injector pumps, maybe just the rack is now controlled by the ECM?? In any case my engine service manual dose not cover the new design so I'm only guessing about their operation:)

I do know that if I ever have to change out any of the injector/pumps out on mine I will "tune" mine to the pre 2009 4720 specs and add the correct turbo and intercooler.

Hopefully your problem will be some slight problem with the injector and not too $$$. And no you shouldn't have some thing like this happing on a low hour machine. As I recall the other tractor was also rather low hr's too.

William....

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #18  
Hiya,

All I can say is Wow!

I had no idea that Deere would still be using a mechanical "rack" system like the old Big Cam Cummins from the late 70's on the 4x20 series engines. How are they making Tier 4 with close to 40 year old tech???

If I was in the market for that chassis size, I would not even consider a Deere if that is the case.

Tom

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #19  
It is more complicated by a long shot. Each injector is also its own injector pump. I don't know if it would take 6 hrs to tear down, but I can believe that it will take that to change it out and re-time the injector pumps to the rack etc....William....

I just looked up the individual inj pumps. Reman ones re $275 ea.

Attachments

• CD22010________UN01JAN94.gif
    CD22010________UN01JAN94.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 91
   / Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #20  
I just looked up the individual inj pumps. Reman ones re $275 ea.

Yep they are not that $$$ I have even seen new parts (OEM) new for about that price point. I bet a good pump shop could re-"MAN" the stock 4320 parts to the 4720 specs for a few hundred $ for a set of 4.

I wish the original poster would update the status of his machine, I would like to know what the problem was/is and the damage $$$

William....