Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #1  

trook

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5075E Cab
I own a 2009 JD4320 with 565 hours. Earlier today, I noticed that the engine seems to be running a little "rough". By that, I mean that if it is idling and you depress the foot throttle, it feels a little "rough" as the engine rpm's increase and it feels like it is missing a little. It also feels like is has a little less power and sounds slightly different. Almost like a 8 cylinder gas engine with 1 cylinder missing.

I don't notice this if I am at 1500 rpm and quickly accelerate to 2600rpm. It may have the same issue at the higher rpm's, but its hard to tell. If the issue is there, it is not as noticeable.

Since the fuel tank was about 1/4 full, I decided to fill up with fresh fuel, but it runs the same.

I didn't think the fuel filter would be the problem, but I changed it anyway. However, it didn't fix the problem. Also, the air filter is fine.

Suggestions?

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #2  
Sounds like you might have a sticky fuel injector. You might try to add some conditioner to the fuel and see if that helps. I like the Lucas fuel conditioner.

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #3  
Hiya,

Is it throwing any error codes on the display? As noted, could be a injector on the way out but it could also be carbon build up in the exhaust port blocking flow, valve train part failure, (broken rocker, pushrod, lifter, cam lobe) or bad valve lash adjustment. May want to take a long handle screwdriver, put the tip on the top of the injectors and the handle to your ear, with it idling you should be able to hear the injector blow off it's seat and the knock of detonation of the fuel, listen for one cylinder with a slightly different sound, that's the one you start looking at first.

Tom

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem
Should I add some seafoam in case an injector is slightly clogged?

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #5  
Could be sucking air into the fuel lines. That will make it miss. Look for fuel leaks. If it's leaking fuel it is sometimes sucking air.

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #6  
Does it have normai power when its at rated rpm or does it bog easily?
larry

It is not leaking fuel. If it is losing any power at pto speed, its not obvious. It appears to cut with normal power at pto speed. This evening, I was able to cut 5ft tall VERY thick grass. It bogged a little, but nothing I didn't expect.

Re: *** Update*** Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem

Well, after exhausting all means to diagnose the problem, I took it to the nearest dealer. They stated it had a "dead cylinder". Further, they are unsure of the cause, but believe the problem is most likely an injector, injector tip, rocker arm or push rod. The bad news is that it will take $400-$600 in labor just to be able to get into the engine enough so they can diagnose the problem!! They have narrowed the problem to "Cylinder 4". Depending on the cause, the price is obviously expected to increase.

I asked them if they have seen anything like this on a 4000 series Deere and they said no. They said that they NEVER have problems with the 4x20 series and that they are really good tractors. When I inquired about the warranty, they stated it was 2 yrs/2000 hours.

The tractor is 4 years old, but it has less than 600 hours and the original warranty goes to 2000 hours (within 2 years). I can't help but wonder if this is some type of defect. I should know more next week, but it sure would be nice if John Deere would cover this problem considering only 585 hours are on the tractor even though the "time" expired at 2 years. :eek:

/ Help Me Diagnose an Engine Problem #9  
so if you have a car with bad engine that has 70,000 miles on but is only 2 years old and is within the 36 month but exceeds the 36,000 miles warranty should car company honor the warranty.

I'm mostly wanting to update everyone that attempted to help me troubleshoot the initial problem.

To follow up on the question posed by logankelly, I believe the better comparison would be quite the opposite: A car that has exceeded the 24 month portion of the warranty but has only acquired 10,000 miles of the 100,000 mile portion.

I understand that they don't have to honor anything. However, I am curious to see whether or not they will see this as a defect that should not have happened (which it obviously is) with such low "mileage" and demonstrate that John Deere does actually value their reputation, name and the quality of their product by doing the right thing.

If so, should they respond in a reasonable and prudent manner? Or, should they say .....sorry.... I don't care how few hours you have, how well you have maintained your machine or how much we imply that our tractors are better than all others combined- you have exceeded the 24 months portion of the warranty and are completely on your own regardless of any mechanical defect that may exist with our product. By the way, can I interest you in this new and improved model that just arrived on our lot????