'48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative

/ '48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative #1  

BarryinMN

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD, Allis-Chalmers, Zetor
\'48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative

Powr-Trol appears to be in the down position.

Tractor has been set up to run a hydraulic cylinder lift 2 wheel 7-8' JD bushhog & has run it 30+ years. I'd like to get the 3 point working for a post hole & 2 bottom plow. There doesn't seem to be any lever switching between internal & external quick connect circuits. Running the PTO & exercising the lever sounds like hydraulic pressure is there (have not hooked the mower back up yet.)

Any tips on disassembly of the check valves?

Replaced seat, head, exhaust pipe, 12V +gnd gen, changed fluids. It's getting close to 100% serviceable.

Nothing sounds like a Deere!

/ '48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative #2  
Re: \'48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative

The cylinder lines must be removed and special plugs replace them to redirect the oil flow internally. Check the archives on Yesterday's Tractor for more information on Powr-Trol operation. I can email the pages from 1946 A operators manual showing this process.

/ '48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative #3  
Re: \'48 JD A Powr-Trol inoperative

I had a similar situation with my B. As already mentioned you have to remove the lines to the cylinder, pull out the plugs you have in there and replace them with plugs that redirect the flow to the 3 pt. If you search the archives at Yesterday's Tractor you will find some discussion on this. The plugs cost about $25 each from internet sellers. I bought some from this site Sharp's I have found it a lot easier operating 3pt equipment with a modern compact than my vintage Deeres. Without live PTO I think you will find it a real challenge to run the auger. Anything you drag behind it are easy enough like blades or plows.