HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #1  

swomack

Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have a 2320 and I just changed the fluids. I have two questions:

1. The owners manual says it takes 3.5 gallons of fluid. I put in a little over 3 gallons to where it was 3/4 of the site glass. After mowing with it the site glass is full when cold. How could it be overfilled when I didn't use almost half a gallon?

2. The manual says to use 10w30 in the engine. I told the parts guy at the dealer that I needed 10w30 and when I got the oil drained, I noticed he had given me 15w40. I called and they said it should be fine as it is what they put in all of the diesels. Anybody had any experience with 15w40 in the Yanmar engine?

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #2  
When you changed the hydrostatic fluid, did you pull the plugs under the axle housings? I'm not sure if the 2320 is the same as the 2520, but with my 2520 if you look at the end of the rear axle next to the wheel, there is a large hub that houses the final drive. At the bottom of those hubs are drain plugs. I usually get a little more than a quart out of both those hubs. Also, did you change the filter?

As far as engine oil - I was told the same thing by my dealer. I am kind of a fanatic about using the proper oil, so I didn't use their 15w40. I figure that the engineers know a little more about these engines than these dealers do. I now use Rotella T6 5w40 oil that I get at a good price at Wal-Mart

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #3  
I have a 2320 and I just changed the fluids. I have two questions:

1. The owners manual says it takes 3.5 gallons of fluid. I put in a little over 3 gallons to where it was 3/4 of the site glass. After mowing with it the site glass is full when cold. How could it be overfilled when I didn't use almost half a gallon?

2. The manual says to use 10w30 in the engine. I told the parts guy at the dealer that I needed 10w30 and when I got the oil drained, I noticed he had given me 15w40. I called and they said it should be fine as it is what they put in all of the diesels. Anybody had any experience with 15w40 in the Yanmar engine?

1. I don't rely on the site glass--varies too much. I go by the dipstick.
2. I always use 15w40in my 2004 4110 (Yanmar)

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #4  
1.. Did you also change the filter? That might account for the extra fluid plus your measurement might be off.

2.. Using 15w40 in Tenn is not a problem. the numbers mean flows like a 15W cold, thins to a 40 hot. IF you were in the north, you might have cold start issues since the oil will be thicker.

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil
Yes, I changed the filter and screen. Manual said it took 3.5 gallons, so I bought a 2.5 and a 1 gallon jug. I drained from the plugs shown in the manual. No dipstick on transmission. Pictures in the manual of screen cover do not match my tractor so I'm hoping drain locations were right...

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #6  
You should be alright. Are you checking the sight glass with the tractor parked in the same location each time? Even the slightest grade will effect the fluid in the sight glass.

Also just as a test, lower your 3-point hitch all the way to see if the level comes down in the sight glass any.

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #7  
As long as your sightglass or dipstick (what-ever the machine uses to gauge fluid level) is okay I wouldn't be concerned. Every transmission /engine has pockets and places that don't drain.

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil
The tractor is parked in same spot every time. The bucket and box blade are resting on floor. The sight glass is completely full, start and let idle the sight glass is empty, turn off it goes back to 3/4, and later its full again...

/ HELP Hydraulic Fluid Change and Oil #9  
The tractor is parked in same spot every time. The bucket and box blade are resting on floor. The sight glass is completely full, start and let idle the sight glass is empty, turn off it goes back to 3/4, and later its full again...

That is because oil that is pumped out of the sump returns when the tractor is shut off, some of it trickles back slowly. Don't worry about it, if ir's in the gauge you will be just fine.