Snow TIRES & CHAINS & SNOW & PLOWING

/ TIRES & CHAINS & SNOW & PLOWING #1  

estamas142

I have a JD 4410 with oversize r-4's and last year was my first using it to plow snow on my very STEEP driveway. Last year I had some slipping as I was backing up the driveway in 4wd after plowing down.

My dealer does not think he can put on chains with the oversize r-4's...not enough clearance?? one alternative is to switch to ag tires with chains, but I am looking for any other ideas or possible solutions.

Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

/ TIRES & CHAINS & SNOW & PLOWING #2  
<font color="blue"> "...last year was my first using it to plow snow on my very STEEP driveway. Last year I had some slipping as I was backing up the driveway in 4wd after plowing down. "</font>

Why are you trying to back up a very STEEP driveway in reverse.....especially when it's a steep drive and covered with snow and possibly ice? Try turning around at the bottom of the drive and driving UP the driveway in forward motion.

...Bob

/ TIRES & CHAINS & SNOW & PLOWING #3  
I have oversized R1s and have the same clearance problem. There is no way to add chains on my 4310. I've decided that if I have traction problems this winter I'm going to put chains on the front. JD advises not to but I don't think I will get much driveline wind up if the wheels are slipping. The net effect is that the front wheels will not "lead" the rears in 4WD as much as normal with front chains. I did have the crazy idea of adapting a method that ice racers use. They drive hex head sheet metal screws into the treads of their tires to convert them to studded tires. After checking the price of replacing 6 ply 12.4X24 R1s if I ruin them and the thought of possibly littering the road with screws that might dislodge and then possibly puncture car tires I shelved the idea. Of course I'd be glad to cheer you on if you want to be the first to try my hairbrained scheme. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif